Wetland Scientist - ( 210002I0 )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We're a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that's critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
This is an opportunity to join Stantec in Minneapolis, MN as a lead wetland delineator where you will perform fieldwork for wetland delineations, soil characterizations, habitat assessments, wetland mitigation, natural resources inventories, and environmental restoration. Additional tasks include reporting preparation, environmental permit development, plan development, permit compliance, wetland mitigation monitoring, and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) support for Environmental Impact Statements/Environmental Assessments and state Environmental Assessment Worksheets.
Your Key Responsibilities
* Perform wetland delineations pursuant to U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) guidance (e.g. 1987 Manual, Regional Supplements)
* Develop wetland delineation reports including off-site precipitation and hydrological analyses
* Prepare USACE and state permits for Section 401/404 compliance including Pre-Construction Notifications, Jurisdictional Determinations, Individual Permits, Regional General permits, etc.
* Perform wetland mitigation monitoring field work and annual reports
* Map and assess vegetation communities and habitat quality
* Participate and conduct listed species surveys and habitat assessments
* Provide technical oversight and quality management of both field work and office deliverables
* Participate in multi-disciplinary environmental planning and assessments for NEPA EIS/EA documents
* Perform environmental assessments, permitting, and compliance for a wide variety of projects and clients
* Write technical reports
* Manage small to medium sized projects and manage tasks on large interdisciplinary projects
* Work in a variety of sectors including renewable energy, civil engineering, transportation, real estate development, city planning, oil & gas, and food process engineering
* Work closely with a team of Project Managers, natural resource scientists, and wetland delineators
Your Capabilities and Credentials
* Must be comfortable with computers, technical report writing, and sub-meter GPS units (Trimble, Collector, WildNote, etc.).
* Must be able to communicate effectively and function as part of a team.
* An interest in ecosystems, natural resource conservation, and the outdoors is essential.
* The ability to solve problems using critical thinking and practical problem solving, complete field work with consideration to their own and the team's safety, and a good sense of direction is important.
* A sense of humor and positive attitude in all working conditions is key.
* Must have a good driving record and valid driver's license.
Education and Experience
* The ideal candidate will have a bachelor's degree in environmental science, ecology, wetland science, soil science, or related field with demonstrated experience with plant, soil, hydrology, and wetland identification and characterization in the region.
* Master's degree in botany or soil science preferred.
* Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS) certification, Professional Soil Scientist (PSS), Minnesota Certified Wetland Delineator (CWD) certification (or in-training to be a CWD), or North Dakota Professional Soil Classifier (PSC) preferred.
* Must have 3 to 5 years of field experience delineating wetlands according to USACE 1987 Manual and the corresponding Regional Supplements.
Some travel, including overnight travel, may be required for this position (up to 25%). Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs. Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : United States-Minnesota-Golden Valley
Other Locations : United States-Minnesota-Woodbury, United States-Minnesota-Maple Plain
Job : Environmental Scientist
Organization : BC-2277 Environmental Services-US North Central
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Oct 13, 2021, 5:03:45 PM
Req ID: 210002I0
Vaccine Policy: Beginning December 8, 2021, Stantec requires North America employees in many positions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 except those for whom a reasonable accommodation has been granted because a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief, as required by law.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans