Advance your career working at a Magnet recognized hospital known for clinical quality and patient safety. Providence St. Joseph Health offers a comprehensive range of benefits including but not limited to professional advancement, extensive health and program wellness offerings as well as competitive compensation, PTO, and retirement plans. We look forward to hearing from you!
We are looking for a Clinical Laboratory Scientist for the Microbiology Department at St. Joseph Hospital Orange.
Location: Orange, CA
Work Schedule: On Call/ Per Diem
Shift: 8-hour, Days
Under the direction of a Supervisor, the Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) utilizes professional knowledge, skills and judgment to perform a variety of technical, clerical, physical and quality assurance functions. The CLS works independently and serves as a resource, and oversees the work of the Sr Lab Assistants.
* Processes patient specimens/blood products as needed for test ordered and follows through with problems and issues regarding quality of samples/blood products.
* Performs patient testing analyses, organizing, prioritizing work as appropriate to meet established turnaround times.
* Performs and monitors quality control responding to out of range results and takes appropriate action.
* Reviews and evaluates results to determine accuracy and reasonableness utilizing delta checks, analyzer flags, etc. to determine discrepancies or problems with specimens. Either acts to resolve problem or refers problem to supervisor/designee and/or pathologist.
* Accurately enters patient testing data and comments when necessary. Documents corrections appropriately when needed.
* Performs start-up, preventative maintenance, linearity & calibration, and calibration verification on instrumentation as necessary and appropriate.
* Communicates with nursing or physicians as necessary to report critical values and testing delays as necessary and appropriate.
* Oversees the work of the Senior Lab Assistants as necessary and appropriate. Contributes to teaching/training and competency evaluations of staff.
* Assists in ordering, stocking, cleaning, and other general maintenance activities.
* Reports all variances/discrepancies per laboratory Occurrence Management policy. Keeps current with communications (i.e. reading emails, technical communications, new procedures). Completes own competencies and license requirements in a timely manner.
* Maintains technical knowledge sufficient to respond to needs within department.
* Ability to interpret test results.
* Ability to problem solve within scope of training.
* Ability to perform intermediate computer functions.
* Ability to interact with other healthcare staff members in a professional courteous manner and demonstrates good communication / telephone skills.
* Ability to understand and communicate orally and in writing.
* Ability to follow directions regarding assigned tasks, dealing with priority tasks first, then complete remaining tasks within the established time frames.
* Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment and maintain a pace appropriate to the workload.
Minimum Position Requirements:
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Science.
Licenses/Certifications: Current California State License for Clinical Laboratory Scientist (generalist or specialist as applicable).
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Experience: 1 year experience.
Licenses/Certifications: ASCP certification from the American Society for Clinical Pathology.
Apply Today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text message with additional questions from our Modern Hire system.
Compassion. Dignity. Justice. Excellence. Integrity.
These timeless values form the heart and soul of St. Joseph Hospital. They are the prime reason that we attract and retain high-caliber employees who believe in the sanctity of their work in our faith-based setting.
As a result of this affinity, most of our employees have remained with us for at least five years. Over 40 percent of our new employees were either referred by friends or applied to work at St. Joseph based on our reputation. It is little wonder, then, that retention rate is significantly higher than the average for healthcare institutions in our community.
When you take the latest in medical technology and place it in the hands of highly skilled clinicians, recognition is sure to follow. In July 2007, 2008 and 2009, St. Joseph Hospital was named one "America's Best Hospitals" for Orthopedic Care by U. S. News and World Report. This highly esteem recognition is testimony to our unique blend medical science and compassionate, values-based care.
A haven that feels like home.
St. Joseph Hospital offers a unique environment in which healthcare givers who share a kindred spirit can do important work and grow both spiritually and professionally. Here, values-based employees view their jobs not simply as careers but also as callings.
Care to get acquainted? Then we warmly invite you to explore the many career opportunities offered by St. Joseph Hospital!
St. Joseph Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as "on call/per diem" refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as "as needed basis" to fill in for staff vacancies.