Animal Biologist, Small Animals - NIH - Baltimore, MD
Kelly Government Solutions is a strategic supplier and business partner to the federal government and its key suppliers. Through our partnership with the National Institutes of Health, Kelly Government Solutions offers administrative, IT, engineering, scientific, and healthcare professionals the opportunity to work with the leading medical research center in the world. We are seeking an experienced Animal Biologist at the National Institutes of Health in Baltimore, MD
This is a long-term contract position which offers:
- Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefit package
- Optional health, vision, and dental plans
- Vacation leave as well as paid federal holidays and 401K plan
- Access to NIH's unparalleled resources and niche scientific initiatives
TASKS/SERVICES. The contractor shall:
(1) Work with staff on the maintenance of animal protocols; work with animal facility staff to maintain, design and produce the necessary crosses of distinct mouse strains
(2) Safeguard animal logs; work with animal facility staff to maintain and breed specific mouse models
(3) Perform immunophenotyping investigations in a longitudinal study in two different mouse strains
(4) Perform investigations with reagents material/tissues under investigation which range from cellular products to whole tissue; maintain inventory system and sample storage; maintain inventory of all experiments
(5) Work with staff on scheduling and maintenance of research tracking system and databases for all research activities, animal husbandry, daily records of experiments and results, including research documentation
(6) Perform molecular biology experimentations, bioinformatics, gene and protein profiling, protein concentrations in extracts
(7) Use or operate a variety of routine and specialized laboratory instruments and equipment for the collection of phenotyping data from metabolic assessment, learning and memory, and physical function and assist in the collection, processing, description, and analysis of data and tissues
(8) Perform genomic DNA preparation, genotyping and other analyses of animal tissues using DNA extraction and PCR
(9) Keep up to date on technical developments, especially in the immunophenotyping and immunohistochemistry fields
(10) Update and maintain laboratory notebooks and databases; collect, analyze and interpret data
(11) Maintain an inventory system and sample storage per outlined guidelines by making labels, tubes, aliquoting and re-inventory of processed samples; ensure that policies and procedures regarding retrieval are followed
(12) Operate and maintain routine instruments such as centrifuges, fluorescent microscopes, titrators, pipetting stations, PCR machines, Western blotting apparatus, gene sequencing, primer design, and pH meters and other laboratory equipment; perform routine laboratory maintenance
(13) Obtain quotes for laboratory supplies, services, and equipment needed to conduct research; prepare purchase requests for these items and submit to PI and/or laboratory manager for approval
(14) Perform preventive maintenance of equipment; maintain technical acuity and development of standardized research protocols
(15) Maintain documentation in accordance with NIA standard operating procedures and policies; provide input for Standard Operating Procedure Technical Manuals within the assigned section of the laboratory
(16) Adhere to Standard Operating Procedures and regulations for data input in laboratory information systems, storage, and retrieval for information
(17) Create and maintain a research tracking system and database for all research activities, daily records of experiments and results, including research documentation
(18) Perform mathematical calculations for the preparation of graphs
(19) Write and edit scientific papers for submission to peer-reviewed journals
(20) Present ongoing research and findings at weekly lab-unit section meetings
(21) Present papers/abstracts/posters at scientific meetings/conferences
(22) Document all laboratory procedures, experiments and results; maintain and update laboratory notebooks and databases
(23) Comply with all State, Federal, Safety, OSHA, US Department of Transportation, and other government and applicable agency regulations
(24) Keep up to date on technical developments, especially in the immunophenotyping and immunohistochemistry fields
REQUIREMENTS. The contractor must have:
(1) Master's degree in Biological Sciences or other related discipline. Three (3) years of specialized experience plus a BA/BS degree is equivalent to a Master's degree
(2) Seven (7) years of experience in Molecular Biology, Immunocyto-chemistry, or a related field
(3) Familiarity with cell biology, state-of-the-art molecular biology and its techniques
(4) Familiarity with flow cytometric techniques; familiarity with tissue culture techniques
(5) Experience with isolation of DNA and RNA from tissues and cells, small samples, PCR, immunohistochemistry, Western blotting, current methodologies of gene targeting and analysis; prior experience working with animals.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE
When you apply, please know a Kelly Government Solutions Recruiter will review your resume and will contact you directly, if your skills and experience match the requirements of this position; a full job description can be made available at that time.
Due to the high volume of inquiries, we regret that we cannot accept phone calls. Even if you aren't contacted for this position, you are still part of our talent network. All Kelly recruiters have access to your profile, which expands your opportunities even further.
As a specialty talent company, Kelly is committed to doing the right thing for our talent and client. We stand up for equity, inclusion, fair treatment, and opportunity for all as these build the foundation of our Talent Promise. With a focus on safety, value, well-being, investment, and opportunity, Kelly's Talent Promise confirms our commitment to those in search of a better way to work and live and to help discover what's next.
It is obvious things are different than they were just a few months ago. Kelly is at the forefront of ensuring the safety of our employees in this new working environment. Be well and stay strong.
Looking to connect with premier government agencies or the top 25 federal government contractors? Kelly® Government offers a variety of full-time, project (SOW), seasonal, and surge support opportunities in science, engineering, technical, professional, and administrative support roles. Our experts will find you the opportunity that fits your schedule and interests and handle the details of transferring and processing all levels of security clearances. It's just another way we make the job search work for you.
You should know: Vaccination against COVID-19 is a requirement for all job opportunities offered through Kelly Government Solutions, in accordance with the Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors.
At Kelly, we're always thinking about what's next and advising job seekers on new ways of working to reach their full potential. In fact, we're a leading advocate for temporary/nontraditional workstyles, because we believe they allow flexibility and tremendous growth opportunities that enable a better way to work and live (plus, did we mention we provide a ton of benefits?). Connecting great people with great companies is what we do best, and our employment opportunities span a wide variety of workstyles, skill levels, and industries around the world.
Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a diverse workforce, including, but not limited to, minorities, females, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual orientation, gender identity Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.