Plastics are one of the most important inventions of the last century. Plastics are strong, lightweight, cost-effective materials that have transformed our lives. Globally there is over 380 million tons of plastic produced each year but only 4% is recycled.
Every living creature on this planet is affected by plastic waste. Each year there is enough plastic in just the oceans to cover Australia in plastic film. We all see and feel the effects of the millions of tons of plastic waste per year. The plastic is threatening our food supply, choking wildlife, and degrading human health.
Radical Plastics has developed a solution to stem the tide on the accumulation of plastic waste in the environment. The proposed solution involves the reformulation of conventional plastics to enable their biodegradation in the environment leaving no residue, no toxic substances and no microplastics.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to contribute to the development of a novel technology that will transform the plastics industry. You will be joining a powerful, diverse team committed to making a meaningful contribution in the battle against plastic pollution. You will be critical to our commercialization and growth strategy as we launch patented, biodegradable plastics.
We seek an experienced Chemical / Polymer Lab Technician who has the ability to work proactively and with minimal supervision. Working directly for the Founder / CTO, you will be actively involved in developing and commercializing this ground-breaking polymer technology by maintaining a state-of-the-art testing lab and coordinating/providing testing services. And as an early employee, you will have the opportunity to grow along with an exciting start-up that is poised to disrupt the plastics industry.
The responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Running a polymer and mineral characterization lab. Supporting the required maintenance, safety checks, overseeing supply, hands-on equipment support, performing any required calibrations
- Organizing and maintaining a rigorous testing schedule with a focus on testing accuracy, efficiency and turnaround time
- Utilizing standard polymer characterization techniques including GPC, FTIR, and Instron
- Knowledge of respirometry techniques is highly advantageous.
- Calibrating and monitoring the operation of plastics processing and testing equipment with a focus on extrusion. Knowledge of dispersion technology is advantageous.
- Performing general maintenance on analytical and processing equipment and troubleshooting performance issues when necessary (UV exposure equipment, analytical devices, mechanical presses, plastics processing systems, etc.)
- Documenting/auditing of SOPs and test methods for testing and processing equipment
- Must have the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Bachelor degree in Chemistry, Plastics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering and a minimum of 5 years experience operating analytical and/or polymer processing equipment
- Strong mechanical and troubleshooting skills
- Strong organizational skills for maintaining a safe and an orderly laboratory
- Proficiency in PowerPoint, Word, Excel and the ability to learn new software including software for analytical methods
- Good written and oral communication skills for presentation of scientific data, communication with computer software programmers and vendors of extrusion equipment
- Ability to work within a team
- Good record-keeping skills consistent with our policy for the protection of IP
- Flexibility and demonstrated ability to prioritize work in a multi-tasking environment
- Competitive salary, generous vacation policy and stock options
- 100% employer paid health and dental insurance benefits
- Be an early employee at a cleantech start-up poised for incredible growth
It is the policy of Radical Plastics to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, pregnancy/childbirth, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or perceived disability, genetic information, citizenship, veteran or military status or a persons relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, marital or domestic partner status, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws. As an equal opportunity employer, Radical Plastics is committed to a diverse workforce.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $45,000.00 - $70,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
Work Location: One location