The Health, Safety, and Environmental (HSE) Manager will be responsible to maintain and enhance a safe and productive work culture to mitigate and/or eliminate HSE related challenges. These challenges include but are not limited to unsafe behaviors and acts, unsafe working conditions, protection of the public, and environmental degradation. This will be accomplished through the support and enrichment of current company HSE programs and processes and an uncompromised commitment to safety and health of our people, the protection of the environment and the communities in which we serve.Requirements c
- BS in Environmental Health and Safety or equivalent field.
- Minimum of 10 to 12 years of Heavy Civil and/or Commercial Construction Experience.
- Valid certification from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (CHST, CSP, etc.) preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with a team and independently.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing.
- Must have strong presentation, public speaking, and facilitation skills.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 50% of the time.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Provides new-employee HSE Orientations and develops materials accordingly.
- Maintains and updates site specific safety plans including emergency response plans and procedures, jobsite hazard analysis and pre-task planning, logistics, etc.
- Inspect and evaluate workplace environments, equipment, or practices to ensure compliance with safety standards and government regulations.
- Provide guidance, assistance and advice through interpretation of Company HSE practices and procedures in relation to client requirements and current legislation and regulations.
- Recommend measures to help protect workers from potentially hazardous work methods, processes, or materials.
- Analyzes incident data to identify trends in injuries, illnesses, accidents, or other hazards.
- Manages the application of HSE procedures as established by the Company on a project site or in an office through departmental training.
- Liaises as necessary between the Company, Client, insurance carriers and regulatory agencies to provide assistance and resolution to audits, remedial actions, worker's compensation claims and other HSE related issues.
- Provides input for HSE permit preparation on projects by maintaining expert knowledge of current guidelines and regulations.
- Develops, customizes, and supervises the implementation of HSE programs, including project site-based recognition and awards programs, to all levels of project staff to ensure a balance between productivity and the safety of project staff and visitors in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Initiates, fosters, and maintains HSE standards and goals through company and/or project wide HSE programs to heighten awareness and ensure a safe and productive work environment.
- Supervises the monitoring of HSE metrics to provide recommendations to HSE management when necessary to meet Company HSE standards and goals.
- Oversees the development of approaches and solutions to HSE-related issues including managing investigations of accidents and near-misses, summarization of findings, and recommendation of strategies to prevent recurrences; supervises proposals and the implementation of a course of action approved by the Company and the Client.
- Oversees the collection, protection and retention of safety related data including, incident documentation, Jobsite Hazard Analysis, etc.
- Supervises the preparation, maintenance, retrieval, and communication of records, reports, or documents that may be required to meet corporate or regulatory requirements.
- Must be able to legally work in the United States.
- Must be willing to work in a drug-free environment and agree to a post offer drug test.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Systems Analysis - Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Systems Evaluation - Identifying measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
May be responsible for management of one or more Health and Safety RepresentativesEducation and/or Experience
BS in Environmental Health and Safety or equivalent field.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts related to business acumen, financial concepts, and some basic engineering calculations. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Current driver's license
- Valid certification from the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (CHST, CSP, etc.) preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee must have the ability to lift/move up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand and walk.Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The primary work environment is an office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
American Bridge Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and employment selection is based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. American Bridge does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, Veteran status or any other characteristics.
American Bridge is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/H/V
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $98,000.00 - $125,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Construction Experience: 3 years (Preferred)
- OSHA: 3 years (Preferred)
- Certified Safety Professional (Preferred)
- OSHA 30 (Preferred)
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- https://www. americanbridge.net
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place