5 Year Contract with the NIH
We are currently searching for a Cell Biologist to collaborate with a multidisciplinary team contributing to collaborative projects with the goal of developing probes and drug lead candidates against novel targets aligned with the Antiviral Program for Pandemics (APP). They will apply cell biology and bioassay technologies for the development of screening assays and will be involved in all aspects of the implementation of small molecule screening programs including assay design, assay development and optimization, pilot and HTS, data analysis, and follow-up studies in support of structure-activity relationship (SAR) and mechanism of action studies for the development of novel pharmacological probes. May be required to work in BSL-2/3 lab as part of responsibilities. This opportunity is full-time, and it is Rockville, MD.
* Work with the Antiviral Program for Pandemics to identify and develop antivirals
* Develop research plans for new projects, including strategies for primary and secondary screens and advanced characterization, including BSL2 and BSL3 viruses such as SARS-CoV-2
* Develop and/or optimize biochemical and cell-based assays, including the use of pathogenic viruses, for automated robotic screening in 384-well and 1536-well formats
* Tissue culture, passaging, and plating, and cell line engineering to create cell-based re-porter assays
* Perform virus titer and lot quality control studies
* Work with staff on the interpretation of assay outcomes obtained from compound screening efforts
* Work with staff on bioinformatic analysis of results obtained from enzyme assays
* Co-author Research Collaborative Agreement write-ups and proposals for new collaborations between NCATS and academic institutions or private industry
* Mentor and train trainees and staff on techniques
* Develop and optimize biochemical and cell-based assays for profiling therapeutic interventions against divergent molecular targets and animal/human pathogens
* Analyze the experimental results and organize findings into tables and figures
* Evaluate new technologies and instruments resulting in proposals for new screening strategies and novel assay formats
* Search existing literature; propose, design and test alternative assays for difficult screening targets
* Confirm assay results and determine EC50specificity for primary active samples; develop secondary assays for follow up; communicate results to facilitate small molecule probe development
* Operate liquid dispensing systems Aurora FRD, Labcyte acoustic dispensers, Ther-moFisher Multidrop and multimodal detectors plate readers Tecan Safire, PE ViewLux, PE EnVision, BMG PheraStar
* Analyze and organize experimental results using data analysis/visualization software
* Maintain and update laboratory notebooks and equipment
* Maintain laboratory equipment
* Write technical reports and prepare manuscripts; write experiment reports and prepare manuscripts for publication in collaboration with other investigators
* Prepare oral presentations and posters for internal and external groups/conferences
* Propose, design and test assays to allow for a secondary profiling and utilization of probe candidates at DPI
* Identify potential collaborators, academic, governmental, and industry; propose and investigate new target projects for initiation based on novelty and relevance to human health
* Provide timely updates to assay providers; send summaries by email; conduct periodical teleconferences to discuss issues and coordinate actions
* Ph.D. in Virology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology or a related discipline. Three (3) years of specialized experience plus a Master's degree is equivalent to a Ph.D. Five (5) years of specialized experience plus a BA/BS degree is equivalent to a Ph.D.
* Minimum of two (2) years of related experience in Biosafety Level 2 (BSL2) research environment.
* Experience in Biosafety Level 2 (BSL2) research environment.
Actalent connects passion with purpose. Our scalable talent solutions and services capabilities drive value and results and provide the expertise to help our customers achieve more. Every day, our experts around the globe are making an impact. We're supporting critical initiatives in engineering and sciences that advance how companies serve the world. Actalent promotes consultant care and engagement through experiences that enable continuous development. Our people are the difference. Actalent is an operating company of Allegis Group, the global leader in talent solutions.
The company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law.