START HERE, GO ANYWHERE!
Want to work for a company that invests in innovation and people who catalyze impact in the built environment? Arup is proud to be recognized by Fast Company in their third annual Best Workplaces for Innovators list , which honors businesses and organizations that demonstrate a deep commitment to encouraging innovation at all levels.
We find solutions for some of the world's most complex problems. From climate action to social value, we consider the broadest impacts of our work. We strive to build a more sustainable, resilient, and equitable future. This purpose shapes our culture and has made us leaders in sustainable development. You'd be joining our multi-disciplinary design teams focusing on technical excellence and innovative solutions that create a better future for people, places, and the planet.
During your career at Arup, you'll have the chance to engage in a fulfilling career and work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You'll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
The Arup Boston Office is seeking a Resilience Intern to support our growing Resilience practice in Boston. Our resilience work spans the public, private, and non-profit sectors, working to understand climate change risks and develop innovative solutions to adapt to those risks. We collaborate regularly with other Arup teams and offices to deliver multi-disciplinary planning, design, and engineering solutions to enhance resilience.
As a Resilience Intern, you will support our mission to help shape a better world and to simulate our clients' resilient futures. Through your work, you will help to advance and implement cutting-edge methods that keep Arup at the forefront of our industry.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS SPECIFIC ROLE WILL INCLUDE, BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Undertake qualitative and quantitative risk assessments for multiple hazards including flood, extreme heat, wind, wildfires, earthquakes, and climate change
- Assist clients, designers, architects, engineers and contractors with sustainable design research and implementation, specifically related to resilience and adaptation.
- Develop mitigation, adaptation, and resilience strategies for building and infrastructure projects and portfolios, corporations/institutions, and cities/communities.
- Prepare presentations, reports, memoranda, and other communication materials
- Currently pursuing a bachelor's degree or higher in Planning, Architecture, Civil Engineering, Environmental Science, Economics, Public Policy, or other related field.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
- Excellent time management skills, with ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Interest in climate science and understanding of climate change scenarios
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Writing and presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
- Must not require sponsorship, now or in the future to be considered for this role
- Currently pursuing a master's degree or higher in Planning, Architecture, Civil Engineering, Environmental Science, Economics, Public Policy, or other related field
- Understanding of vulnerability and risk assessment methodologies
- Visualization skills, including knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with scripting languages, e.g. Python, R, etc.
For over seven decades Arup has been at the forefront of the most ambitious and innovative design and engineering. From concert halls to national stadiums, renewable energy to driverless cars, we continue to add to that history every day. Notable projects from our Resilience team include:
- Lower Mystic Climate Vulnerability Assessment
- MBTA Orange Line Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment
- Mass General Brigham Strategic Resilience Plan
- City of Somerville Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment
- Stonington Coastal Resilience Plan
- Resilience design and consulting services for new development projects
- Flood resilience due diligence assessments
- Portfolio-wide resilience assessments for large corporate owners
- Corporate ESG strategies
Arup is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. I ndividuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation. Should you require an accommodation in the job application or interview process please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com .