Sr. Scientist, Target BiologyScorpion Therapeutics
Scorpion Therapeutics is a precision oncology company founded in February 2020 by a preeminent group of scientists from Harvard University/Massachusetts General Hospital - Keith Flaherty, MD, Gaddy Getz, Ph.D. and Liron Bar-Peled, Ph.D. The company has raised $270M in Series A and Series B financings led by blue-chip investors, including Atlas Venture, Boxer Capital of Tavistock Group, EcoR1 Capital, LLC, Omega Funds, and Vida Venture.
Scorpion's mission is to serve oncology patients by discovering and developing best-in-class and first-in-class, small molecule cancer medicines that address large patient segments with significant unmet medical needs. To accomplish this mission, we are building a highly collaborative team focused on the pursuit of novel approaches to small molecule drug discovery. This approach relies upon dynamic collaboration between cancer biology, proteomics, informatics, structural biology and medicinal chemistry - with the ultimate goal of realizing the full potential of targeted/precision oncology.
We are seeking a highly motivated cancer biologist to join our Target Biology team in South San Francisco. The successful candidate will play a key role in target validation and early drug discovery efforts by utilizing cutting edge functional genomic techniques and developing and implementing a variety of biochemical and cell based methods to elucidate target function and enable small molecule screening efforts.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Evaluate novel precision oncology targets through genetic and pharmacological approaches
- Design and execute a series of experiments to drive in depth target validation, elucidate mechanistic biology to inform targeting modality, and identify biomarkers to generate hypotheses for early patient stratification
- Design, develop, and implement robust biochemical- and cell-based assays to characterize drug/target MOA and measure compound potency and selectivity
- Collect, analyze, and summarize data for presentations, reports, publications, and patents
- Keep up to date with the latest scientific advances in technologies and trends in oncology research and development, and contribute to group strategy
- Mentor and direct junior lab members
- Maintain excellent communication across internal and external team members
- Ph.D. with a focus on cancer biology, cell or molecular biology, genetics or a closely related area of study
- 2+ years of industry experience in oncology discovery and a deep knowledge of cancer biology
- Expertise in genetic perturbation (CRISPR and RNAi) and genetic rescue techniques is required
- Hands on experience in cell-based assay development and execution across different cellular assay formats (HTFR, BRET, ALPHA screen, ELISA, Protein Simple, western, luminescence, qPCR, etc.)
- A strong record of achievement, including publications in high-impact journals
- Exceptional scientific rigor and commitment to the highest-quality research with outstanding organizational abilities and scientific execution
- A highly engaged, self-starter who is creative, innovative, communicative and possesses both a collaborative and goal/results-orientated style
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment, while employing tact, patience, diplomacy and a collaborative spirit
- Outstanding decision making, organizational and analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Scorpion Therapeutics Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer who strives to create and maintain a diverse working environment. We do not discriminate for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Beginning October 13, 2021, Scorpion requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to receive the vaccine due to a disability or serious medical condition, or because of your sincerely held religious beliefs, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation.
Apply at: CAREERS@SCORPIONTX.COM