Hooray Foods is on a mission to combat climate change, enhance the world's ecosystems, and prevent animal suffering, all by providing people around the world with delicious food that gives them the same experience and joy as eating animal products - Hooray!!
Our first product is a plant-based bacon called Hooray Bacon that looks, handles, and tastes almost like the real thing. We need an amazing Product Development Scientist to help make our current product better and lead the development of future plant-based products.
You will work closely with a team of Food Scientists to support research and development efforts of the company. This role will be responsible for the benchtop development and modification of plant-based food products. The focus of this position will be on improving current products as well as developing new ones. This individual will gain hands-on experience in developing plant-based meat analogues in a laboratory/kitchen setting. Successful individuals will be result-oriented, self-motivated, and meticulous about their work. Taking ownership of the work that you do, and approaching tasks with an organized, methodical manner will render you successful in this position.
Your work will be based in our amazing R&D kitchen and analytical lab in downtown San Francisco where you'll work closely with the entire Hooray team.MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support research efforts for both short-term and long-term company goals
- Design and execute plant-based formulations focused on improving current product features (texture, flavor, color, shelf-life, etc.)
- Optimize food prototype sensorial characteristics such as juiciness, mouthfeel, flavor
- Create new product recipes through ingredient functionality research and testing
- Establish protocols for food product development processes both at a benchtop and pilot lab scale
- Collaborate with Food Scientist team to reformulate, alter, and move forward in data-driven experimental designs
- Analyze and quantify product development process through rheology testing, texture analysis, thermal testing, shelf-life, etc.
- Establish framework for both in-house and consumer sensory testing (sensory panels, sensory terminology, etc.)
- Present research findings and reports in a well-organized written and verbal manner
- Conduct product specification analyses such as nutritional information creation, product microbiology clearance, and shelf-life studies
- Participate in pilot scale production runs as required
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS?
- M.S. with 4+ years of experience, or Ph.D. with 2+ years in Food Science, Sensory Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or a related degree
- Successful food product development (concept to launch) experience is required. Preferably in the baked goods and/or the confectionary industry.
- Track record of food product prototyping and scale up project management
- Deep knowledge of soft-materials chemistry (emulsions and/or hydrocolloids), rheology, carbohydrate science, and protein-polysaccharide complexes
- Hands-on experience working in a food product development laboratory: prototyping, ingredient functionality discovery, rheology, texture analysis
- Demonstrated success in experimental design, execution, and improvement
- Work experience and knowledge of standard sensory software and how to develop new testing methods
- Applied sensory and perceptual research experience
- Strong leadership, teamwork, and communication skills
- Excellent time management, organization skills, and project management skills
- Background in culinary and sensory sciences is preferred
- Plant-based product development experience is preferred
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for Hooray Foods, Inc. Sponsorship available in certain cases.
- Laboratory kitchen and office with less than 10% travel
- Must be able to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time
We're a small and mighty team, but as we grow we know the most important thing is that we have an amazing team that shares the same vision for the world and knows how to work together to get there. To us, this means diversity, creativity, teamwork, passion, compassion, and an ability to have fun with the work we are doing.