Director of Discovery & Open Innovation
Our client is a global leader in the development of spice and herb extracts, natural colors, antioxidants and hop extracts for the food, beverage, nutritional and pharmaceutical markets! We have been retained to find a talented Director of Discovery & Open Innovation!
- Support company's business through solving technical problems and lead Discovery, Technology Scouting, Innovation Platforms and Open Innovation.
- Support the long-term strategy of the Global Research & Development group as it relates to vision and mission, sharing information, development of scientists, collaboration, support and alignment with other functions and ensuring highest quality technical work.
- Provide technical expertise to support major platform and product related projects by serving as a specialist in the field, driving joint research, spiraling projects with key customers, and evaluating new technology and consultants.
- Coordinate with the rest of the R&D team to jointly innovate in core products, new products and novel research and ideas.
Essential Job Functions:
- Lead and develop strategies to best execute and manage research projects to solve technical challenges.
- Ensure the team prepares detailed reports describing research efforts, and when appropriate, present research results to scientific conferences, customers, staff and/or other groups.
- Stay current on new, emerging technology and competitive products (trade shows, journals, patents, etc.)
- Oversee the continued training and development of Discovery scientists.
- Work collaboratively with the core Innovation groups to ensure fluidity of concept, product, technology and project exchange and transfer.
- Work collaboratively with the Product Directors to ensure appropriate Innovation targets and corresponding allocation of resources.
- Work with Sales to ensure Innovations targets are will meet customer needs, collecting & sharing feedback on market trends and key customer learnings.
- Ensure and instate an environment where the Discovery & Open Innovation staff are working productively and efficiently, applying sound scientific methodology, being responsive to internal and external customer needs, staying current on internal technology and outside technology, identify and develop new skills, and proactively present new ideas for new concepts.
- Develop opportunities with existing and prospective customers by serving as the science champion.
- Collect intelligence on competitors, new technology, key customers, markets and industry trends.
- Oversee major collaborations and research contracts where involvement is seen as key to a likely successful outcome
- Conduct regular meetings with the Discovery & Open Innovation scientists to ensure a successful advancement of research projects and allocation of resources.
- Measure and track ROI as it pertains to lab effort and commercial success of customer projects.
- Support business strategy and profitability targets.
- Work with Sr. VP of Global R&D to ensure alignment in objectives with the commercial teams, and with the overall company objectives.
- PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Engineering, Food Science, or a related degree.
- Proven track record in managing high performance teams.
- Outstanding written and verbal presentation skills.
- Self-starter and problem solver; teambuilding skills; strong organizational skills.
- Proven successful project management experience.
- Desired: Experience with natural products and functional ingredients.
- Able to travel 10-30% of the time.