Plays a pivotal role in characterizing the environmental and occupational attributes of Pfizer's product portfolio. This is a foundational building block in initiation of risk assessment to enable effective decision making related to worker and environmental protection aligned with Pfizer's Purpose Breakthroughs that change patients' lives. The role affords an unparalleled opportunity for the candidate to shape the future direction of key EHS programs using intelligence gained from evaluating emerging areas of R&D and business interest.
Holds responsibility for the Pfizer hazard characterization and communication program, evolving it as necessary to meet the needs of Pfizer's biopharmaceutical portfolio. In scope includes timely development and timely communication of Environmental Interest Levels (EILs) and Predicted No-Effect Concentrations (PNECs) to facilitate environmental protection, Occupational Exposure Values (OEVs) to support worker safety programs and Product Classifications and Acceptable Daily Exposure (ADE) values to ensure product/patient safety. Establishes and maintains effective partnerships with business leaders to ensure program priorities remain aligned with business developments; building program strategies to address emergent modalities as needed. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with EHS and operational teams contributing to the development of effective risk assessments and implementation of contemporary control practices.
* With oversight of the Occupational Toxicology and R&D EHS Lead develops and maintains the operational standards, practices and methodologies applied by the Technical Review Committee (TRC) and Environmental Technical Review Committee (eTRC); innovating as necessary to address emerging modalities and improve operational efficiency
* Drives TRC and eTRC work plans, aligned with pipeline priorities equipping team members with preparatory information to enable decision making
* Evaluates the potential hazards of Pfizer programs (including proprietary substances) to worker safety, product/patient safety, and the environment; on the basis of study reports and guided by published scientific information and industry benchmark data
* Authors / oversees development of work products (e.g., PNEC, OEL, and ADE value monographs), providing traceability to data sources used in the decision-making process. Interfaces with Safety Data Sheet (SDS) authors to ensure timely and accurate development / updates
* Leads periodic reviews to assess program effectiveness, e.g., through stakeholder surveys and data accuracy sampling within key Digital systems (e.g., Compound Profile)
* Oversees worker and environmental safety testing programs at external toxicology labs to augment available non-clinical and clinical data relevant to hazard characterization for new product introduction and to support chemical registration data requirements (e.g., European Union (EU) Registration, Evaluation, and Authorization of Chemicals (REACH))
* Maintains active and productive engagement with industry forums, Research & Development lines (small / large molecule, vaccines), and New Product Development and Business Development teams to determine trends in emergent modalities, future business direction, and priorities for hazard characterization program development; uses the intelligence gathered to build operational practices, further increasing the robustness of the hazard communication programs
* Establishes and maintains processes to enable effective communication and education of key stakeholders on the hazard classifications and expected actions; develops briefing and training materials
* Partners with EHS and operational teams to develop risk assessments, leading to the selection and implementation of contemporary control practices
* Engages Global EHS program leads and partner lines (e.g., engineering, operations) to facilitate further development of technical programs to address novel modalities; thereby ensuring appropriate risk mitigation strategies/controls are established ahead of new product introduction
* Contributes to Occupational Risk Evaluations for EHS topics aligned with technical skillsets and competencies
* Bachelors degree in Life Sciences or related field
* 5 years or more of relevant industry experience
* Product risk assessment experience gained in pharmaceutical / biopharmaceutical, chemical, or related product manufacturing
* Project planning, tracking and management skills to ensure actions and commitments are delivered to plan
* Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communications skills and the ability to work across multiple countries and cultures
* Ability to develop conclusions on available scientific data that may be incomplete; and apply that to assess EHS risks and business implications in order to secure stakeholder commitment to action
* Environmental / occupational toxicology program experience; including leading complex risk assessment, and hazard communication program development
* Master's degree in Toxicology (ideally with an occupational and environmental focus)
* Board Certification in Toxicology (e.g., American Board of Toxicology (ABT) or Academy of Toxicological Sciences (ATS)); with maintenance of the formal continuous professional development requirement
* Occupational Hygiene / Biosafety / Environmental or related program experience
* Track record of leading cross functional and virtual teams in complex environments.
* Experience working in dynamic complex, matrixed business models.
* Due to the nature of work assignments, the role holder must be able to perform detailed work with limited oversight on multiple, concurrent tasks, with frequent interruptions and under time constraints, while maintaining focus on longer term priorities.
* Daily interactions with colleagues through face to face or virtual meetings enabled using technology such as WebEx and video conference requiring ability to effectively exchange ideas and information with colleagues using these systems.
* Ability to understand, evaluate, interpret and explain multiple complex inputs and provide clear direction.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Ability to work outside standard working hours (early mornings / evenings) to contribute to a global team; and maintain communications / networks across a geographically diverse network
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Environmental, Health & Safety