Monitor the safety and occupational procedures adopted on board, coordinating the safety related activities between technical, environmental and safety operations and Ship's Management, and assuring enforcement and conformity of procedures within the Fleet.POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be aware of changes occurred in the national and international regulations involving safety, assisting with the analysis of applicable Safety codes, regulations, and standards and determined methods to apply them in the most practical way.
- Implement crew safety programs and procedures including occupational safety.
- Provide technical support to the ship and to the shore side management within the area of responsibility.
- Provide technical assistance during incident investigations.
- Promote safety awareness among the crew including occupational safety as well.
- Follow up on safety projects as assigned.
- Co-operate in the evaluation of shipboard personnel assigned to safety.
- Monitor onboard Safety meetings, reviewing records of the proceedings.
- Monitor incidents and accident reports providing follow up when required and as applicable.
- Cooperate with the appointed Ship's Superintendent on monitoring that the ship's safety documentation is kept updated and safety equipment is in good working order according to the original specification and design.
- Remain in close contact with Ship's Superintendent concerning the status of the current and planned activities related to safety (including but not limited to Dry/Wet Dock).
- Participate to the Company Incident Response Plan as a team member.
- Assist in structuring, implementing, and monitoring the Company SMS within the area of assigned responsibilities.
- Conduct Safety Index inspections.
- Perform Internal auditing activities as requested by management. May participate with internal audit as a co-auditor.
- Responsible for maintaining the information on the SAR plans.
- Perform other job related functions as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in Marine engineering or related field of study or any equivalent combination of relevant background, training and experience.EXPERIENCE:
5 years shipboard technical experience. Shipboard technical license (minimum required 1st Deck Officer and/or 1st Engineer Officer).KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
Must have demonstrated leadership ability and good interpersonal skills to effectively deal with internal and external contacts. Knowledge of hotel management, shipboard operations and information systems. Must be able to travel (domestic and international) onboard ships as needed.