Head of Immunology Computational Biology
- Cambridge, United States of America
- Research and Development
Job Description About AbbVie
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
The Genomics Research Center (GRC) is a center of excellence for genetics and genomics that supports both Discovery and Development. The GRC plays an integral role towards our goal of developing world class genetics and genomics research, focusing on finding the right targets and helping us better understand not only human disease biology but also the behavior of and response to our drugs in clinical trials. AbbVie's GRC is a center of excellence for bioinformatics, functional genomics, human genetics, genome biology, and genomic medicine and has access to various population cohorts (over 1 million genomes). The GRC works across all R&D, and multiple areas such as process sciences and corporate strategy.
Within the GRC, the Department of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology is responsible for data analysis and provides analytical insight for both internal and external data. This involves the identification and characterization of underlying genetic, epigenetic, or genomic factors that are associated with disease diagnosis, prognosis and response (efficacy and safety) to drug treatment, identification of new targets, and interpretation of the impact of genetic and genomic evidence from population-based studies. We have an exciting opportunity for Head of Immunology Computational Biology
based in Cambridge (MA), reporting to the Global Head of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology in the GRC, as part of a group of more than 70 computationally focused scientists and engineers. This person will lead a team based in Cambridge (MA) and North Chicago (IL), consisting of approximately 14 scientists in total.
The successful candidate must be a creative and experienced leader that can coach, guide, develop, and lead the Immunology Computational Biology team in using quantitative analyses and data integration from discovery sciences to the clinic for accelerating efforts to develop innovate therapeutic approaches to treat immunological diseases. You will need deep and broad computational science expertise along with accomplished communication and influencing skills. You will be able to recruit, build, and manage a strong and creative team that delivers tangible and impactful results.
The key responsibilities:
- Set the strategy for Immunology Computational Biology for target identification and biomarker research in close alignment with AbbVie's Immunology objectives. Work closely with other bioinformatic TA heads to maintain alignment of common vision across the bioinformatics organization.
- Identify and recruit key talent to shape innovative approaches to drive the Immunology portfolio forward and bridge across all R&D
- Identify and implement key collaborations with external partners, and evaluation of new opportunities and technologies
- Foster close communication and collaboration between Computational Biology and wet lab research within Immunology Discovery, Precision medicine, and Immunology Development and other key stakeholders and relevant organizations
- Lead, motivate, inspire, and develop diverse cross-functional teams
- Maintain oversight to ensure deliverables are achieved within timelines for multiple projects
Significant Work Activities
- Doctoral degree or PhD in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Immunology, (Bio)Statistics, Computer Science, (Bio)Mathematics, Genetic Epidemiology or Biology/Medicines/ Genomics related disciplines with a strong focus on data analysis.
- A minimum of 12-years work experience in Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Genomics in pharmaceutical or biotechnology research and drug development and a minimum of 3 years of experience of leading teams.
- Established ability to recruit and build high-performing teams.
- Excellent scientific and managerial track record. Experience in leading external collaborations.
- Experience in leading multidisciplinary teams and working in a cross-functional environment.
- Ability to travel up to 15%
Full-timeJob Level Code
DEqual Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
As an online job seeker, you could be a target of cyber (online) thieves seeking to secure personal information from you by sending you "phishing" messages.
Please be alert to and protect yourself from phishing scams. Click here to find out how you can avoid being a victim of job phishing scams.