Sequoia Climate Fund is a new philanthropy that seeks to decarbonize the world economy at a speed and scale equal to the problem. We support bold strategies and efforts that will have both near-term impact and the greatest probability of long-term success. We believe that solving climate change requires the adoption of ambitious, evidence-based policy solutions that transform markets, advance clean technology, and lead to large-scale change.Job Description
The Data Scientist is responsible for leading the delivery of salient and credible data analyses and products to inform evidence-based strategies for climate change mitigation. This role is responsible for the synthesis and analysis of both internal and external datasets, under the leadership of the Director, Evidence and Learning. The Data Scientist will develop and maintain reproducible data workflows and data products, including visualizations, reports, and dashboards. This role will frequently collaborate with subject matter experts within Sequoia and external partners, such as data providers and grantees.
- Gathers and synthesizes large external datasets, such as climate scenarios, into clear, compelling data products to support decision-making needs.
- Creates reports, presentations or interactive dashboards to support Sequoia staff on an as-needed basis.
- Integrates and creates custom statistical analysis of diverse datasets relevant to climate change mitigation efforts, such as country-level emissions trajectories or global climate scenarios.
- Reproduces and provides appropriate analysis of internal financial and programmatic datasets to support decision-making needs.
- Collaborates with subject matter experts and data analysis staff at Sequoia to use data to inform real-time decisions.
- Develops and maintains data workflows via GitHub for both internal and external databases.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science, statistics, applied mathematics or related field required; Advanced degree in a relevant field, including statistical analysis of quantitative data, preferred.
- Minimum of three years working in climate change data analytics, or a related field required.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency in RStudio, including RShiny and RMarkdown, and GitHub required.
- Knowledge of Python preferred.
- Energy or climate modeling experience highly preferred
- Familiarity with running custom scenarios in integrated assessment models, such as GCAM, preferred.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.Sequoia Climate fund's institutional culture of respect, diversity, and inclusion
Sequoia Climate Fund believes we are strengthened by the diversity of our staff, and welcome such diversity including race, gender identity or expression, educational attainment, disability, veteran status, and personal experience with the criminal justice system. We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and we strongly encourage people of color and persons with disabilities to apply. We actively cultivate an institutional culture that reflects the values of respect, equity, and inclusion that we seek to amplify in the larger world.
Sequoia Climate Fund hires, promotes, and retains employees based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities and work performance, as well as on the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by Sequoia's service needs and business requirements. All personnel decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge, are made without discrimination based on any protected characteristic as defined by law, e.g., race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, domestic partner status, veteran or military status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, and prior criminal convictions, as well as educational attainment.COVID-19 HirIng update
We have temporarily transitioned to a work-from-home model, and this role is expected to begin as a remote position. To ensure the safety and well-being of our employees, we will continue to monitor the situation and follow the recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as local advisories from the California Department of Public Health and the Orange County Health Care Agency. Once circumstances allow, staff will be required to work full-time from our office in Irvine, California
. We are flexible and willing to discuss the logistics and financial considerations raised by relocation, if needed.
Click the "I'm Interested" green button to apply for this position.