As an Ohalo Cell Biologist, the successful candidate will join a small team of creative scientists that seek to transform plant breeding. This cell biologist will work to expand the germplasm accessible to Ohalo's editing lab and will help to set the future direction in plant regeneration, editing and transformation at Ohalo. Responsibilities include development and deployment of plant regeneration systems and application/product development. The cell biologist will work with the CTO, key scientists, and the product development team to identify trait targets and scientific strategies. The successful candidate will have a proven track record in regeneration of multiple plant species and will stay current with emerging technologies and applications. Responsibilities:
- Development of novel plant regeneration methods for multiple species
- Plant tissue culture
- Plant cell suspension culture
- Protoplast isolation and culture
- Supervision of technical staff
- Collaboration with the Ohalo team to implement novel plant breeding strategies
- Development of proprietary protocols that enable efficient regeneration of plants from single cells, cell cultures, and other plant parts.
- Maintain germplasm in-vitro, in growth chambers, and greenhouses
- Maintain a clean and safe laboratory and working environment
- Follow company policies and practices with all internal and external interactions
- Maintain security of company information including trade secrets
About Ohalo Genetics
- Ph.D. in a biological discipline such as plant cell biology, plant tissue culture, or a related field
- Proven experience in protocol development and optimization for regeneration of plants via organogenesis or embryogenesis
- A minimum of 5 years experience with plant tissue culture and plant regeneration
- Deep expertise in plant cell biology pertaining to cell culture and plant regeneration
- Experience with regeneration of monocots and dicots preferred.
- Knowledge of gene editing and similar methods, experimental design, and deployment
- Two to three years experience with technical staff supervision is preferred
- Ability to collaborate with diverse and creative teams
- Excellent communication skills
- Passport and ability to travel internationally
- Ability to hold a California driver's license and potential to be covered by a company vehicle insurance plan
Ohalo is using an evolutionary lens to reimagine the art and science of plant breeding.
We seek to transform breeding and production systems with a goal of helping to sustainably support the world's growing population.