Job Profile SummaryRole Synopsis
Advanced Bio & Physical Sciences for Low Carbon Energy (AB&PS) develops strategic and business solutions for new low carbon technologies and products. A recently established team, AB&PS is the central research organization for biosciences, chemistry, chemical engineering science, materials sciences, biofuels, green hydrogen/electrochemistry and the science of carbon capture. This team also hosts bp's capability in computational modeling of biosciences and chemistry.
The biological sciences are strategically meaningful to bp. The bp Biosciences Center (BSC) in San Diego is the hub for bp's biosciences R&D capability. The BSC works to identify current opportunities and assess future opportunities across the range of bp's businesses, supporting bp's ambition to reach net zero by 2050 or sooner. The Center stays closely connected to bp businesses and external technologies, and ensures the expertise required to progress opportunities through the early stages of technology development. The Center also advises businesses on biological issues and partnership opportunities. The team is comprised of flexible, agile, multi-skilled, innovative members that work collaboratively across the research portfolio.
Job AdvertThe Senior Scientist or Scientist -Molecular Biologist will report to the synthetic biology lead. The initial focus of research activities will be to support the biosciences programs requiring molecular biology/synthetic biology. The successful candidate will participate in designing, constructing, and evaluating microbial strains to support the Biosciences projects for low carbon and sustainable fuels. The individual will join a group of interactive scientists and should have strong communication skills and outstanding inter-disciplinary problem solving and critical thinking skills, with a strong interest in the pursuit of scientific discovery. This position requires hands on work at the bench with a recent experience of delivering experimental results.Key Accountabilities
- Design and conduct experiments that deliver needed results for the research portfolio of the Biosciences Center.
- Construct and optimize microbial strains by using state-of-the-art technologies for genome editing, DNA assembly, gene expression.
- Work in a multi-disciplinary environment, both independently and within a project team.
- Promote safety initiatives and champions compliance with bp's Code of Conduct.
- Master (with 4+ years) or PhD degree from the following fields: biochemistry, enzymology, molecular biology, biology, synthetic biology, or related fields.
- Experience must be shown by a track record of publications.
- Experience in independent set-up and execution of molecular biology, biochemistry and/or microbiology related experiments along with data collection, analysis, and documentation of the relevant laboratory results.
- Hands-on experience in genetic engineering tools for gene expression and chromosomal manipulation.
- Strong organizational skills, being able to balance multiple projects at the same time.
- Ability to aim for continuous improvement and to progress work.
- Ability to work safely and independently with no immediate supervision. Adept at formulating new SOP s as well as reliable and accurate execution of tasks following SOPs outlined by others.
- Ability to learn quickly and acquire new skills and develop expertise in new areas of scientific interest.
- Promote safety initiatives and champion compliance with BP s Code of Conduct and Values & Behaviors.
- Devote ~80% of their working hours in lab activities.
Considering Joining bp?
- Experience growing and manipulating various microbial hosts (bacterial, fungi)
- Experience in laboratory automation workstations and/or high throughput screening.
- Knowledge of experimental design, data analysis, troubleshooting and literature search capabilities.
- Experience in microbial fermentation processes.
- Understanding of the scale-up from lab scale to pilot scale.
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and exciting environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. bp is committed to encouraging an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly. There are many aspects of our employees' lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, excellent retirement benefits, and more!
EntityInnovation & Engineering
Job Family GroupResearch & Technology Group
Travel requiredYes - up to 10%
Time TypeFull time
CountryUnited States of America
About BPINNOVATION & ENGINEERING
Join us in creating, growing, and delivering innovation at pace, enabling us to thrive while transitioning to a net zero world. All without compromising our operational risk management.
Working with us, you can do this by:
• deploying our integrated capability and standards in service of our net zero and safety ambitions
• driving our digital transformation and pioneering new business models
• collaborating to deliver competitive customer-focused energy solutions
• originating, scaling and commercialising innovative ideas, and creating ground-breaking new businesses from them
• protecting us by assuring management of our greatest physical and digital risks
Because together we are:
• Originators, builders, guardians and disruptors
• Engineers, technologists, scientists and entrepreneurs
• Empathetic, curious, creative and inclusive
Legal disclaimerIf you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test(and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½" scalp, or > 2 cm/¾" body - arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com; or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the poster supplement - for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. (Spanish version)
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement