Minerals Technologies Inc. (MTI)
is a resource- and technology-based company that develops, produces and markets worldwide a broad range of specialty mineral, mineral-based and synthetic mineral products and related systems and services. The Company has three reportable segments: Specialty Minerals, Performance Materials, and Refractories.MTI
provides a business environment and promotes a culture that encourages all employees to contribute to our success. We have long been committed to the recruitment and advancement of the most talented and qualified people. We recognize that MTI's ability to provide the highest caliber of products and services is enhanced by a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities and countries in which we work.What We Offer:
· Competitive pay, commensurate with experience
· Health/Dental/Vision plans
· 401k company match
· Life Insurance
· Short Term Disability & Long-Term Disability
· Educational Assistance
· Employee Assistance PlanMTI Business Segment:
Specialty Minerals Inc. Position:
Environmental, Health & Safety ManagerLocation:
North America | USA | Canaan, CT
The Specialty Minerals (SMI)
segment produces and sells the synthetic mineral product precipitated calcium carbonate (PCC), mines mineral ores and processes and sells natural mineral products, primarily limestone and talc. This segment's products are used principally in the paper, building materials, paint and coatings, glass, ceramic, polymer, food, automotive and pharmaceutical industries.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Environmental, Health& Safety Manager
at our Canaan, CT
location. Position Details: Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Other Duties & Responsibilities
- Initiate, implement, and maintain environmental engineering programs affecting the plant.
- Conduct thorough investigation of environmental problem areas.
- Perform nuisance/dust/noise sampling surveys to ensure compliance with company/government regulations.
- Recommend types of equipment to be used and equipment specifications eliminating environmental problems.
- Ensure that new process equipment for which he/she is responsible meets prescribed engineering specifications and is properly installed.
- Monitor plant compliance to regulatory permit requirements.
- Ensure operation of plant wastewater treatment process meets regulatory requirements.
- Provide environmental awareness training for plant personnel on an annual basis.
- Interface with regulatory agencies to conduct site audits and assist in negotiation of permit requirements.
- Work with local government officials to maintain a favorable corporate neighbor image.
- Field and respond to neighborhood concerns regarding dust, noise, etc.
- Plan and coordinate all safety training programs, recommend safety incentive and award programs. Conduct safety meetings.
- Keep abreast of proposed changes to existing laws and advise plant management of their possible effects on the plant.
- Workers' compensation coordinator - work closely with insurer to provide timely compensation and timely and adequate medical care to injured employees. Represent SMI at related legal proceedings.
- Administer the disability management program for work-related injuries and illnesses. Serve as primary liaison with physicians. Coordinate limited duty and temporary assignments.
- Accompany third party representatives (e.g. MSHA, Workers' Compensation, etc.) on plant inspections; ensure corrective action on violations.
- Coordinate and participate in monthly inspection program identifying potential safety hazards and ensure timely correction of all violations.
- Coordinate and participate in investigations for injuries, near miss incidents and property damage incidents.
- Develop safety-related policies and procedures.
- Serve as Chairman of Safety Committee.
- Administer contractor safety program including periodic inspections and correction of violations.
- Administer Hearing Conservation Program including noise surveys, annual audiometric testing, annual training.
- Coordinate/perform nuisance dust surveys to ensure compliance with company/governmental regulations.
- Conduct safety analyses on specific jobs where required.
- Coordinate ordering, maintenance, and distribution of personal safety equipment to employees, ensuring related records are maintained.
- Fulfill the responsibilities and requirements as specified in the SPCC and Emergency Evacuation and Response Plan.
- Work on special environmental problems as they occur.
- Assist other plants throughout the Division as needed.
- Conduct safety audits at other SMI facilities.
- Assist other SMI facilities with safety and health related issues.
*This is considered a safety sensitive position therefore will be subject to random drug testing as required. Qualifications and Experience: Education:
- Acts as resource and champion for site continuous improvement activities (Suggestion Program, 5S, Kaizen, TPM, problem solving, etc.).
- Manages individual employee involvement in continuous improvement activities to ensure equal opportunities are available for all department members to participate and contribute.
Bachelor's Degree required Experience:
- 5+ years related experience in an Industrial environment.
- Must have experience with environmental and safety regulations and effectively working with regulatory agencies.
- Successful candidate must have strong interpersonal skills and a proven track record of collaborating with others to implement improvements and reduce risk.
- Excellent oral and written skills are required.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and have a strong attention to detail.
- Additionally, the successful candidate must be able to direct/lead others, effectively handle conflict situations, display a cooperative attitude and concern for others, be able to maintain composure, have integrity, persistence and initiative, as well as be dependable and adaptable to changing circumstances.
- Ability to lift between 50 and 100 pounds is preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job, an employee is typically required to read, write, listen, speak and understand English, follow all instructions and other oral/written information, visually inspect equipment/work area, complete paperwork and other documentation accurately, identify, analyze, troubleshoot and solve issues using judgement and mechanical knowledge/abilities, react quickly as needed, be organized and detail oriented, be able to identify/judge the urgency of a situation, use judgement in decision making, communicate effectively with others, be aware of oneself in relation to surrounding equipment, work independently and as a team with others. Ability to instruct/transfer job information/knowledge to others is required.
There is exposure to plant production areas, which may include exposure to outside weather conditions as well as loud noise from equipment and dust from production processes. Exposure to plant areas requires the use of appropriate safety equipment. Personal protective equipment is available for employee use in these circumstances.HOW TO APPLY
*Must include the subject line EHS Mgr, Canaan
- Email resume to MTICareers@mineralstech.com
- FAX resume to (610) 882-1385
| Only candidates under consideration will be contacted