Vector Laboratories is actively responding to the COVID-19 pandemic through vaccine and diagnostic programs.
*Note: we are currently located in Burlingame, CA with a planned move to Newark, CA in 2022.
Vector Laboratories is seeking a product development scientist (Scientist) with experience in glycobiology to join our highly collaborative R&D team. The Scientist is responsible for developing novel reagents and tools to empower the investigation in the field of glycobiology and role of glycans in health and disease. The Scientist's primary function is to work with our commercial team to identify customer needs, propose new products and develop products according to our established design control process. The Scientist will participate as an integral member of cross-functional design teams to bring products from inception to transfer to manufacturing to commercialization. Immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence reagents are the core Vector's portfolio, as such, an understanding of tissue-based immunoassays is desirable. The Scientist will represent Vector when communicating with outside organizations and customers and attending conferences. The position mandates an individual have sound judgment, be self-motivated and capable of working independently and under pressure to meet company goals. The Scientist will be able to train/guide junior staff and possess the social skills necessary to preserve Vector's unique culture of collaboration and continuous improvement. Vector Laboratories is founded on the belief that enabling our customers to perform their research efficiently and reproducibly requires easy-to-use, reliable, and high performing tools. The R&D group is critical to that purpose and a valued part of the Vector Business.
- Work with R&D team and Product Manager to propose and develop new product ideas in alignment with Vector's strategic objectives
- Independently design and execute experiments, document experimental procedures and results, analyze and interpret data, and present findings
- Manage multiple projects within timelines according to high scientific and ethical standards
- Act as Project Leader to coordinate and lead interdepartmental teams to bring products to market
- Serve as a subject matter expert to fellow R&D, QC, Manufacturing and Marketing staff
- Work in a team to design and execute development plans to ensure that critical project requirements, timelines, and deliverables are met
- Contribute to an environment that supports the Vector culture of inter-departmental collaboration
- Keep current with emerging techniques and applications through review of scientific literature and conference attendance
- In collaboration with Marketing, travel to customer sites, conferences and trade shows to collect voiceof customer information
- Train and guide junior staff members
- Maintain a clean, orderly and safe laboratory environment
- Related industry experience in product development is desired
- Knowledge of biochemical techniques including bioconjugation and common protein purification and characterization techniques such as column chromatography, SDS-PAGE, spectrophotometry, etc. Experience with FPLC instruments is a plus.
- Independent thinker; effectively able to design and execute experiments, analyze and interpret data and make sound decisions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills allowing clear communication of ideas, reasoning and conclusions to a varied audience
- Ability to work on multiple projects under time constraints and meet deadlines while maintaining a high level of work quality
- Ability to effectively interact with diverse personalities inside and outside the company. Must be tactful and flexible.
- Adaptable to change
- Ph.D. degree in Immunology, Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, or related field with experience in glycobiology