American Forest Management, Inc. (AFM) is the largest forest consulting and real estate brokerage firm in the United States. AFM currently manages over 6 million acres of privately owned timberland and has sold over $2 billion in real estate transactions. With 273 employees operating from 49 offices located in 16 states, AFM's team of professionals are focused on meeting client needs by providing a complete range of forestry services including land and wildlife management, land sale and acquisition services, forest inventory and design, growth and yield modeling, cash flow projections, environmental services, appraisal, forest resource data management and harvest scheduling. Our small regionally dispersed offices allow us to provide individualized services, and our large overall size allows us to coordinate teams of foresters and technical specialists for large, complex jobs.
Full-time position - Primary role of the position is working with private forest landowners to achieve their goals in forest management. Minimum of 45 hours per week required, vehicle provided, out-of-town and overnight work may be required (expenses paid). This position could be located Dickinson, Marquette, or Iron county.Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Ability to generate new business (meeting with potential clients, explain our business, etc.)
- Ability to create management plans that capture landowner objectives and offer solutions to achieve those goals.
- Ability to perform all aspects of timber sale development, including timber marking, boundary establishment, and timber valuations.
- Prepare timber sale bid notices and review timber sale contracts.
- Prepare and negotiate contracts with independent contractors for clients' management services.
- Supervision of contracted services, including certifying completion of work for payment.
- Assist with client budgets/management plan preparation.
- Participate in forest inventory projects individually or with a team.
- Highly proficient with MS Word, Excel, and GIS software.
- Ability to use GPS and hand-held data recorders.
- Required travel and ability to function as a team member on large projects throughout the U.S.
- Working knowledge of forestry skills including the use of tools used in timber cruising, photo interpretation, timber harvesting, road construction, and other duties that pertain to forest management.
- Able to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Able to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form and implement them efficiently and effectively.
- Valid driver's license
- Office and remote field environments. Utilization of various means of transportation including off road and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and snowmobiles. Required to drive, ride or walk through rough terrain in difficult weather conditions, in daylight and dark, in wet and dry environments. Involves working long periods of time outdoors, sometimes in adverse weather conditions, for days or weeks and will include overnight travel to other AFM Regions.
- Exposure to loud noise, extreme temperatures, fumes or air borne particles, outdoor weather conditions, and inclement weather. Exposure to heavy equipment operations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to drive, walk, wade, stand, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to bend, stoop, reach with hands and arms, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Bachelor's or Associate's Degree in Forestry.
- Five years of forestry experience preferred.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong listening capabilities with the ability to translate communications into appropriate course of action.