HELIX Environmental Planning, Inc
HELIX Environmental Planning, Inc. (HELIX
), a growing, employee-owned California-based environmental consulting and planning firm, is seeking a motivated As-Needed Biologist
with critical thinking skills and a strong work ethic to join our southern California office locations (offices located in La Mesa, Irvine, or Pasadena). HELIX provides CEQA/NEPA, biological, cultural resource management, habitat restoration, regulatory permitting, environmental compliance monitoring, acoustics and noise control, air quality and greenhouse gas, and GIS services to both the public and private sectors.
Why work for HELIX? We are an employee-owned firm, hard-working with a casual and collaborative work environment. Our employees describe us as Team-oriented, Caring, Client-focused, Flexible, and driven by our standards of Integrity. We are excited to meet you!
This is an as-needed biologist position to provide assistance to our biology team during the busy season, or as required, due to work demand. In addition to the requirements below, we are looking for candidates that demonstrate excellent communication skills, including using creativity and analytical skills to develop solutions for project challenges. Must have a positive attitude, strong work ethic and be a team player. Must be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
HELIX is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, family status, or veteran status.
Duties for the biologist may include:
- Conducting terrestrial biology surveys, including vegetation mapping, and/or focused species surveys.
- Conducting terrestrial biological monitoring for construction/restoration projects.
- Managing personal workload and coordinating schedule with Project Managers and Biology Operations Manager as appropriate.
- Maintaining accurate field notes and maps, project files, work logs, etc.
- Providing high quality work products on schedule and within budget.
. Requirements:As-Needed Biologist Minimum Requirements:
Qualifications considered a plus:
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in an environmental science, biology or related field (degree in biochemistry or microbiology not acceptable)
- Two years of professional experience (outside of academic requirements) related to terrestrial biology
- Knowledge of Southern California flora and fauna
- One year of local experience conducting construction monitoring and/or two years of conducting surveys for terrestrial biological resources
- Experience with field data collection methods and equipment
- Demonstrated experience maintaining accurate field notes and maps, project files, work logs, etc.
- Must be able to hike long distances over varying terrain under varying weather conditions
- Valid California Driver's License with a clean driving record over the last 3 years
- Demonstrated experience preparing biological monitoring reports
- Permits from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to survey for coastal California gnatcatcher and/or other listed species.
- Experience conducting least Bell's vireo surveys
- A Master's degree or higher in biology, natural resources, or related field
- Experience conducting jurisdictional delineations, California Rapid Assessment Method (CRAM) analyses, and/or preparing Clean Water Act permit applications
#biology #terrestrialbiologist #terrestrial #environmentalscience #monitoring