FirstCarbon Solutions (FCS) is searching for a dedicated and passionate leader to join our team as an Environmental Services CEQA Director. The ES Director's responsibilities include (but are not limited to) management of the administrative, financial, technical, and marketing matters involving environmental services projects and staff. Ensuring that the ES Division performs at the highest possible level of product and service quality, maximizes profitability, is properly staffed (and trained) to handle current and projected workloads, follows all company policies, and is prepared for the future market needs.
We are looking for a successful department leader in the environmental services consulting industry, that has the desire to play an integral part in the continued growth and development of this department, mentor staff, and also roll their sleeves up as a Project Director on environmental projects, as needed. The company headquarters is located in California, but this position can work remotely from most any location. Please note that a strong background in CEQA is required.Duties and Responsibilities
Education and Experience
- Responsible for assisting the Directors Team in the day-to-day management of the ES Division.
- Collects and reviews available information to anticipate personnel requirements.
- Interviews and recommends hires for all positions in the ES Division.
- Informs the Chief Operating Officer on all matters related to the progress and success of the ES Division.
- Chairs the ES Division workload meetings and coordinates staff workload efforts.
- Chairs the ES Division staff meetings to help keep staff motivated, trained, well informed, and working as a team.
- Participates in the Division Directors meetings and functions as a leader in the company.
- Manages and coordinates timely input on all finance matters (i.e., 3- to 6‑month projections, project status reports, accounts receivable, and any other pertinent request).
- Reviews contractual terms and is authorized to commit firm on projects up to established limits.
- Reviews and approves proposal fee estimates, project budgets, and project invoices.
- Ensures maximum profitability on all ES Division projects and value pricing opportunities/retainers on new jobs.
- Conducts performance evaluations for Section Managers and selected project managers. Recommends salary and position changes for ES Division, with input from appropriate staff.
- Supervises ES Managers, and assists in meeting their goals and objectives.
- Ensures Managers are supervising others effectively, giving timely reviews, have an adequate backlog of work, and managing their section appropriately.
- Responsible for QA/QC of all projects within the ES Division, giving assistance and guidance as necessary to the Section Managers, project managers, and other technical staff members.
- Maintains and improves the consistency, high quality, and accuracy of all work products within the Division by overseeing contract compliance, directly reviewing or ensuring the proper review of all reports or other reports leaving the office and maintaining a level of communication directly with the client to be informed of any concerns.
- Maintains a master schedule of current and expected new projects, staff requirements, and current or estimated fees.
- Ensures all new legislative requirements are incorporated into work products and that staff are well informed when changes take place.
- Supervises and/or participates in the preparation of all proposals and qualification packages for the ES Division. Carefully reviews all budgets and schedules for proposals to optimize profitability and ensures that staff are available to perform the contract if awarded to FCS.
- Works closely with the Directors in Environmental Services and Senior ES Managers to be prepared for future market needs.
- Represents FCS in the marketplace to develop business opportunities.
- Works with the Marketing Division to prepare materials appropriate to support the Division's marketing needs.
- Takes a proactive role in the marketplace on behalf of FCS and leads Marketing Action Plan efforts as appropriate.
A combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge and skills. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Bachelor's degree in Planning, Environmental Services, or related field is preferred.
- Advanced professional experience in the environmental field, with proven progressive growth in a management role within a consulting firm.
Thorough understanding of the principles and practices of environmental consulting, including:
- Technical competence in the environmental/planning field.
- Advanced understanding of CEQA, NEPA, and related processing requirements.
- Financial management principles and practices.
- Personnel management principles and practices.
- Project management techniques.
- Provide effective leadership and strategic thinking.
- Plan, organize, assign, and coordinate the activities of technical and administrative staff.
- Present ideas effectively, orally, and in prose.
- Select, supervise, train, and evaluate staff.
- Understand and ensure the firm's success in meeting business and profitability requirements.
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office software applications, especially Word and Excel; as well as Intern usage.
This position currently operates in either an in-office or remote, home office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment. This position will require some travel (domestic and possible international), public speaking at industry events, client meetings and presentations. This role must comply with all travel and safety policies.Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may spend extended periods of time in front of a computer and/or laptop. The position is regularly required to talk and hear as well as reach with hands and arms and hand/finger dexterity. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.Diversity and respect are fundamental
Fundamental to our teams. Fundamental to our clients. Fundamental to the communities we serve and live in. Fundamental to the landscapes we work within. We need you and your unique talents, history, and background to become the Company we aspire to be. We insist upon a culture of common respect, expect transparency, and celebrate the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. Our mutual equality as humans is the path to diverse and innovative collaboration. We cultivate integrity, driving us to growth, and allowing us to achieve more together than we could ever hope to as individuals.