North Carolina Wesleyan College seeks applications for an Assistant Professor of Biology to teach introductory courses for both majors and non-majors; Human Anatomy and Physiology; and core and upper-level courses for the Biology and Biomedical science programs. This is a full-time, tenure track position to begin Fall 2022. This is an endowed position funded by the Nancy Shaw Trust Fund. Requirements and Responsibilities:
How to apply:
- A Ph.D. in a biological discipline
- Your primary teaching duties include BIO101 - Life Science; BIO102 - Life Science Laboratory, BIO231 - Anatomy and Physiology 1; BIO232 - Anatomy and Physiology 2; Developmental Biology/Embryology, and Physiology/Pathophysiology.
- Additional teaching may include introductory courses as well as upper-level courses in your area of expertise that support and complement the Biology and Biomedical Program.
- In addition to love for teaching, we expect you to engage students through conventional and innovative instructional strategies. You will have the opportunity to help students learn life science and basic biology both during and outside the traditional course meeting time.
- Advising and committee work are part of your responsibilities. You will support our Biomedical program students as an advisor. All faculty are expected to serve on standing committees.
- We grow together as a team. We want to move forward and improve the Biology department and its programs.
- We want NCWC and our students to be successful. You will be supporting the college aims and students in various ways (attending student presentations, guiding independent student research projects, volunteering for open houses, etc.)
- A full-time load at North Carolina Wesleyan College involves 12 contact hours per semester consisting of a mixture of lecture and laboratory courses. Tenure review process emphasizes teaching effectiveness, college and community service, and scholarship. Research scholarship is not required but welcome.
Please email a completed application packet to Tammy Harrell at email@example.com with the following materials:
- A letter of application highlighting relevant advanced degrees or experiences that demonstrate evidence of qualifications and motivation to teach undergraduate physiology/pathophysiology, anatomy & physiology, developmental biology/embryology, other biomedical sciences courses, and introductory biology courses
- A statement of teaching philosophy addressing undergraduate and liberal arts education
- A diversity statement highlighting your experiences (formal and informal), personal and professional skills, and willingness to participate/lead efforts to improve our college diversity and equity.
- A current curriculum vitae
- Copies of transcripts showing academic work in higher education and degrees received
- Contact information of three references who will provide letters of recommendation upon request
North Carolina Wesleyan College is an undergraduate liberal arts college, emphasizing teaching excellence and personal attention. NCWC is classified by the US Department of Education as a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and a Primarily Black Institution (PBI). The college is located in Rocky Mount, North Carolina, and serves approximately 1,600 students, including adult and professional students in the evening and online. The student body is diverse with regard to ethnicity, nationality, and age. Rocky Mount is in the eastern coastal plain region of the state, convenient to the Raleigh-Durham area and beaches, including the Outer Banks. Washington, DC, and the mountains of North Carolina are also within easy driving distance.
North Carolina Wesleyan College values a culture of respect, kindness, and understanding
and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or disability. Women, historically underrepresented minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The review of complete applications will begin immediately and will continue until a suitable candidate is identified. Specific questions about the position or the Biology Department can be directed to Dr. Daniel Elías, Chair of the Search Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org
North Carolina Wesleyan College is an equal opportunity employer; however, the college does not currently sponsor H-1B/H-1B1 petitions/visas for openings in this position. Therefore, only candidates who are already legally authorized to work in the United States will be considered.
The Chronicle of Higher Education. Keywords: Assistant Professor, Location: Rocky Mount, NC - 27804