Principal Scientist - Cell Biology (Chemical Biology)
Location Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America Job Type Full time
This site is for Res idents of the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico.
Residents of other markets, please click here . Job Description
Subject to applicable law, all prospective hires will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or intend to be vaccinated for COVID-19 by November 1, 2021, or qualify for a medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement. Hired candidates who are not vaccinated by November 1, 2021, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment, subject to applicable law.
Become part of cutting edge and highly innovative Chemical Biology and Quantitative Biosciences departments. Using robust scientific methodology, novel translational models, and state-of-the-art instrumentation and automation, we collaborate to discover the next medical breakthrough. We have added new capability enhancements that allow higher-resolution interrogation of novel biology and the molecular mechanism of action of molecules that help advance the best drug candidates in the clinic.
Target discovery is critical to the success of drug discovery. We are therefore seeking an innovative cell biologist with experience in target discovery platforms and phenotypic screening to join the Chemical Biology group at our Research Laboratories in Boston / Cambridge to contribute to this endeavor.
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Become part of a creative and flexible team; collaborate, manage and work closely with innovative, multi-disciplinary scientists.
- Lead target discovery and validation efforts on project strategy, experimental design, analysis, and interpretation of experiments
- Leverage your deep understanding of cellular biology and the pharmacological and genetic manipulation of pathways and proteins in physiologically relevant cell systems to validate novel targets and mechanisms
- Execute on chemical biology strategy through collaboration with Oncology, Metabolic Disease, Neuroscience and Infectious Disease discovery teams
- Establish strong relationships within highly collaborative, multidisciplinary teams to effectively drive early drug discovery initiatives
Qualifications / Education
- A background in cell-based assay development and familiarity with small molecule screening to interrogate compound effects on phenotypes of interest is required.
- Sound understanding of biological concepts and phenotypic workflows coupled with a strategic vision of the target discovery process
- Experience managing scientists with a track record of achievements leading projects and independently designing and executing experiments
- Excellent attention to detail and strong communication (oral and written) skills
- Highly self-motivated and capable of prioritizing deliverables among multiple simultaneous projects
- Ability to build strong relationships within highly collaborative, multidisciplinary teams to effectively drive early drug discovery initiatives
- Must have a proven track record across a wide range of cell biology and phenotypic screening projects
- Preference will be given to candidates with a chemical biology background, novel target validation experience, automation, and/or pharmacological assay experience.
- Ph.D. in Chemical Biology, Pharmacology, or a related subject area with 10 years of experience in industry, academia or biotechnology.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we "follow the science" that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe. Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us-and start making your impact today.NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails. Employee Status:
Yes Travel Requirements: Flexible Work Arrangements:Shift:Valid Driving License:Hazardous Material(s):Number of Openings:
Email this job to: About Us
We are one company, but we operate under two different corporate brand names.
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as MSD everywhere else.
Learn more about our virtual hiring process and new hybrid work model.
Discover how we support our employees' well-being to help them fulfill their potential.
Our culture values a diversity of voices and always bringing your best self to work.
- Job Search, Application & Interview Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions
- The Physician Payment Sunshine Act (PPSA)
Get tailored job recommendations based on your interests. Not ready to apply?
Join our Talent Community to stay connected and receive updates on the latest job opportunities.
This careers website is intended for Residents of the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. Residents in other markets, please visit our MSD Careers page. Information on this site is for the purpose of presenting career opportunities at our organization and give our audience a view of our culture, diversity and growth opportunities. Our Company is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran, proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Reporting on our commitment to society, people and communities around the world
An initiative to create a world where no woman has to die giving life
The global animal health business unit of Merck