Michael Baker is seeking a highly motivated Biologist with the ability to work on multiple large-scale projects, support on business development/marketing, and expand Michael Baker's Natural Resources capabilities in Northern California. The ideal Candidate for the Biologist position would have experience conducting a variety of field surveys, construction monitoring, habitat assessments, and focused surveys, with additional experience evaluating or conducting jurisdictional delineations also considered beneficial. The ability to effectively and accurately assess and describe project details in both routine communications as well as in survey reports is a must. In this position, some days will be in the office and others may be in the field. The Candidate would assist with day-to-day projects at the direction of Michael Baker's Natural Resources Subgroup Managers. Although most projects and most field work is planned well in advance, there are times when short notice (e.g., 24 hours) is provided and staff are expected to be flexible to meet project needs.
The successful Candidate would be part of a team that provides assistance with a variety of projects associated with habitat restoration, regulatory permitting, land development (e.g., residential, commercial, industrial), public works (e.g., flood control, transportation, water resource), and other projects. The Candidate will be part of a growing environmental planning team, working alongside a team of biologists, regulatory specialists, environmental planners, GIS analysts, landscape architects, engineers, and hydrologists.
Typical tasks may include, but not be limited to:
- Biological surveys, fieldwork data collection, clearance surveys including nesting birds, and construction monitoring
- Technical research and report writing (e.g., biological reports, mitigation plans, constraints analyses, existing conditions memos)
- Habitat restoration and monitoring support
- Stream/wetland mapping and jurisdictional delineations
- Regulatory Permit applications preparation and consultation with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Regional Water Quality Control Board and other regional agencies (not required, but beneficial as workshare/cross training is encouraged)
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Zoology, Botany, Ecology, Natural Resource Management, or related field is required
- •2-5 years of experience with biological services-oriented work including involvement and proficiency with regulatory compliance and permitting such as CEQA/NEPA, CWA, MBTA, CFGC, and FESA/CESA for a variety of development, restoration, and mitigation projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required, along with the ability to develop technical sections and coordinate and manage preparation for environmental assessments, management plans, and other environmental studies and documents
- Strong background in terrestrial ecology to perform biological resource evaluations, assess habitat usage and potential project-related impacts, and as necessary provide recommendations on appropriate mitigation
- Experience conducting or leading biology surveys, including vegetation mapping and focused species surveys
- Experience conducting or leading biological monitoring for construction/restoration projects
- Experience working with a team and independently
- Strong computer user skills using the Microsoft Office Suite are required
- Possession of special-status species take permits for southern California is not required but will be considered beneficial to the Candidate
- Familiarity with nesting bird survey techniques and the ability to recognize nesting behavior and locate bird nests is not required but will be considered beneficial to the Candidate
: Whether you want to work in the office, at home, or in a hybrid model, we accommodate a variety of preferences. We recognize our employees face many factors when it comes to selecting the best work location, and we are passionate about providing options and flexibility.