Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Scientist Structural Biology at our San Diego Research Site.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Scientist I in drug discovery, you will be empowered innovate and sustain our cutting edge structural biology pipeline as well as to serve on drug discovery project teams. OBJECTIVES
Takeda's Structural Biology team within the Drug Discovery Sciences (DDS) department at Takeda is looking for a talented and enthusiastic Scientist I with a strong background in the performing high through-put structural biology and in the administration of the associated computer infrastructure. The candidate has an excellent track record at supporting and performing X-ray crystallography and may also have experience with cryo-EM.
The successful candidate will sustain and innovatively build upon a sophisticated crystallographic data processing pipeline, as well as liaise with external vendors to develop and implement our next-generation structure curation and storage solution. The candidate will have deep knowledge of Python and shell scripting in a Linux environment. As part of DDS, you will also collaborate closely with biophysicists, structural biologists, chemists, computational chemists, and biologists, and will work closely with project teams to advance small molecule drug discovery programs.
We are seeking an energetic and innovative individual that identifies and solves critical technical challenges, and thrives in multidisciplinary, science driven and highly innovative environments. ACCOUNTABILITIES
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Administer, sustain and innovatively build upon an established high-throughput automated crystallography data collection and data processing pipeline.
- Work with external vendors and internal IT colleagues to develop, implement and sustain an integrated structure and crystallographic and cryo-EM data repository.
- Utilize a variety of software packages including CCP4, HKL2000/3000, PHENIX, COOT and Schrodinger packages to provide high-quality structural data for project teams.
- Work collaboratively on pipeline projects with an interdisciplinary group of both internal and external project team members including disease-area biologists, medicinal chemistry, computational chemistry, in vitro/in vivo pharmacology, informatics, DMPK, DSRE, and project management.
- Communicate structural data, as well as its interpretation, to various audiences and convey the significance of the data in order to drive structure-based drug design.
- Maintain up-to-date technical skills and knowledge in structural biology as a whole and more broadly across drug discovery.
- Initiate investigation of new experimental approaches to a wide range of problems using scientific theory and technical literature.
- Demonstrated track-record of rigorously and efficiently supporting high-quality structure determination of targets of interest using X-ray crystallography and potentially cryo-EM.
- Demonstrated track-record of tackling difficult structural biology challenges using innovative and novel methodologies.
- Deep expertise in crystallographic software packages.
- Deep understanding of protein structure and function, with the ability to clearly communicate structural information and significance/interpretation to a broad audience of key stakeholders.
- Highly skilled in Python and shell scripting in a Linux environment.
- Demonstrated experience with relational databases using SQL.
- Rigorous, exacting, organized, creative and innovative approach to scientific inquiry.
- Experience in various aspects of computational chemistry, including molecular docking and virtual screening, is desirable.
- Enthusiasm for structural biology, drug discovery, and collaboration in an industrial setting
- Experience in cloud computing and AWS-based solutions is also highly desirable.
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Motivated leader of scientific research who can also work effectively and collegially in cross-disciplinary teams.
- Identifies, plans and executes novel scientific projects and may manage the work of others in a direct or matrixed organizational structure.
- Independently manages workload and expectations
- Scientifically independent
- May influence decision making within the department
- Conducts scientific presentations to internal audiences
EDUCATION, BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Receives high level instructions on all work, determines methods on new assignments, works closely with manager, may manage junior staff
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- PhD degree in a related scientific discipline
- MS with 6+ years experience, or
- BS with 8+ years experience
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
This job posting excludes CO applicants.
Effective November 1, 2021, absent an approved religious or medical reason, all US office-based and lab-based Takeda employees who work fully on-site or in a hybrid model (as determined by Takeda) must be fully vaccinated to work at a Takeda site or to engage with Takeda colleagues or anyone else on behalf of Takeda. As of the same date, absent an approved religious or medical reason, US field-based employees, employees must be fully vaccinated in order to continue in their current roles. US employees who work at a Takeda manufacturing facility, and those who work at a BioLife center or BioLife lab, may be subject to different guidelines. Candidates are encouraged to speak with their recruiter to seek further information on the applicable guidelines for the Business Unit/Function for which they have applied.Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law. Locations
San Diego, CAWorker Type