FMC Corporation is a leading specialty company focused on agricultural technologies. FMC provides innovative and cost-effective solutions to enhance crop yield and quality by controlling a broad spectrum of insects, weeds and disease, as well as in non-agricultural markets for pest control. FMC is a globally diverse organization that offers its employees exciting opportunities to work on challenging projects that are important to the achievement of our strategic objectives. Your education and professional experience are valued and put to use from day one. Your success at completing key initiatives can result in a varied, progressive and fulfilling career with FMC. With a corporate culture of innovation, integrity, responsibility and customer intimacy, we foster "The Right Chemistry" in everything we do. We are looking for people to join us in creating, developing, and improving our products, our processes, and our markets. If you are ready to make a difference every day, FMC is ready to talk to you.
As one of the leading global companies engaged in agrochemical discovery, FMC is looking for a Technical Manager to lead Herbicide Discovery Biology group at our Stine Haskell research facility in Newark, Delaware. The mission of Herbicide Discovery Biology group is to discover new herbicide active ingredients qualified for commercial development. The Discovery Herbicide Manager role requires technical, personnel and administrative management of principal and associate scientists which include researchers with B.S., M.S. and Ph.D in weed science, crop science, and biology.
The Discovery Herbicide Biology Manager prioritizes projects and resources and participates in technical discussions and decisions involving greenhouse and field biology testing, chemical structure-activity relationships, mode of action studies and analyses of environmental properties of experimental compounds.
He/She is responsible for technical coaching of the team, setting personal and group objectives in alignment with organizational goals and performance appraisal and salary administration of the individuals in the organization. He/She is also expected to help create and implement personal development plans for each member of the team. The incumbent for this position reports to the Research Director of Discovery Biology, is part of discovery leadership team and is responsible for providing updates on Herbicide Discovery activities and progress to other parts of the R&D organization including Sr. Management.
- Develop, implement, and manage or supervise all research programs and projects in the area of discovery of novel herbicides and qualify them as commercial development candidates. Implement best practice research methods and establish high standards across the department.
- Initiate programs in new areas of research including, but not exclusive to, new screening tools, productivity approaches and quality management. Development, validation and implementation of creative new bioassays are included in these activities.
- Provide technical support and leadership to the Discovery Biology Research Team, and effectively interface with other discovery disciplines (chemistry, analytical, toxicology, ecotoxicology, and regulatory etc.) Field Development, Global Technical product managers and Business team to evaluate progress and results for all projects as well as the department as a whole
- Collaborate with the Discovery Biology Director on the development of long-term research strategy to support the global agrochemical discovery strategic plan.
- Establish and manage an external research network and expert community for discovery of herbicides.
- Stay abreast of current trends, market conditions, growers' emerging needs, and technological advances through continued education.
- Follow all company safety rules in performing job duties and make sure that group is committed to the goal of Zero incidence always.
- Technical Manger directly supervises 5-6 Principal Investigators and 8-10 Associate Scientists and contract employees.
Supervisory responsibilities also include, but are not limited to, interviewing, hiring and training employees. This role also includes planning, assigning, and directing work, appraising performance, and rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems using initiative and independent judgment.
- MS in Weed Science, Agronomy, or Plant Physiology or related sciences with PhD and Post doc experience in weed management /herbicide research
- Minimum 5-7 year's research experience in herbicide discovery or herbicide product development after PhD Knowledge of weed management strategies, field-testing procedures, designing protocols and research projects with a high level of technical competence Knowledge of agricultural cropping systems, global weed control targets, practices and products. Ability to get results by delivering on commitments and implementing plans and programs
- Strong interpersonal skills with a focus on teamwork and collaborative cooperation, leadership and team building
- Ability to communicate to a wide variety of internal and external audiences in a way that promotes understanding and builds relationships
At FMC, diversity and inclusion are in our DNA. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to creating an inclusive workplace where all employees can thrive - regardless of race, gender, sex, pregnancy, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, color, age, religion or religious creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. FMC also supports employee participation in company employee resource groups that celebrate the diverse backgrounds of our workforce by providing communities for employees to connect with each other and raise awareness throughout FMC.
FMC complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact our Talent Acquisition department at firstname.lastname@example.org.