Our Client is seeking a Director or Executive Director of Biology Discovery and Development who will be a key leader of their research and development team. The ideal candidate will have experience managing internal research projects, with experience in managing outsourced research projects a plus. Must have experience with small molecule oncology therapeutics.Responsibilities:
- Target Discovery: Lead the planning and development of studies for oncology target discovery research using internal and external resources.
- Target Validation: Work with team members to evaluate targets for potential new drug discovery programs, and lead the planning and development of target validation studies.
- Drug Discovery: Lead the planning and development of efficient screening funnels to evaluate novel compounds and manage the execution of studies by internal team members and/or external contractors.
- Lead Candidate Evaluation: Collaboratively develop candidate Target Product Profiles and drive the planning and execution of studies for the characterization of the safety and efficacy of advanced drug candidates.
- Stay current with state-of-the-art methods and technologies, and routinely monitor new information in academic and trade literature.
- Design and execute strategies to test biological hypotheses and define timelines and goals for success.
- Write, review, and issue technical reports, technical memoranda, and other documents for internal and external distribution. Prepare executive data summaries for use in scientific and management presentations. Work closely with internal patent counsel in generating IP documentation. Prepare nonclinical sections and review IND applications.
- Liaise with Clinical Development, Regulatory, and Business Development team members to develop and execute strategies for current programs.
- Ph.D. degree in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, oncology, biology, biomedical engineering or similar
- 7+ years of experience in pharmaceutical R&D, target discovery or similar; experience in pharmaceutical company or related setting
- 4+ years managing internal and/or external research teams
- Operate with a high degree of autonomy and professionalism in a fast-moving start-up environment
- Communicate clear research aims, experimental designs, and technical roadmaps to team members (technical and non-technical), senior leadership and other stakeholders
- Capable of communicating complex technical information in a clear and easy-to understand manner both in writing (technical reports, manuscripts, and IP submissions) as well as verbally through presentations
- Experience conducting in vitro and/or in vivo research and willingness to perform in vitro research activities is required; demonstrated proficiency and experience in assay development with standard in vitro biochemical, molecular biological and cell-based assays, particularly cell-free inhibition assays
- Hands-on lab knowledge and experience with current and next-gen biochemical and cell-based assay methods (e.g., fluorescent cell staining, HCA, microscopy, reporter gene, cell adhesion, protein translocation, internalization, fluorescence, AlphaScreen,
- HTRF, ELISA, etc.); primary and immortalized cell culture expertise is a plus.
- 10+ years of experience in pharmaceutical R&D, oncology target discovery or similar in a biotech, pharmaceutical or similar company
- 7+ years managing internal and/or external research teams
- Experience managing outsourced GLP and non-GLP research activities
- Demonstrated success as a project leader working with colleagues across disciplines:
- Medicinal Chemistry, DMPK, Toxicology, Clinical Development, Regulatory and Business Development
- Demonstrated ability to understand, successfully integrate, and apply scientific and intellectual property literature, research data and technical input to meet program goals
- Experience with IND filing support for small molecule therapeutics