Are you inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife around the globe? San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a mission-based, non-profit wildlife conservation organization with two world famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction. Our commitment is to provide visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park as opportunities to learn about and engage with best-in-class conservation work, and how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife everyday.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Wildlife Care Specialist - Neonatal Assisted Care Unit and Wildlife Ambassador will support San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance's mission of saving species worldwide by overseeing all aspects of the safe care and handling of an assigned animal collection. This position reports to the Lead or Supervisor.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Prepares food and water for exhibit animals
- Loads and unloads food from trucks
- Feeds exhibit animals
- Administers prescribed medication and keeps feeding records
- Observes assigned animals
- Reports abnormal conditions to superiors
- Cleans exhibit areas, pools, animal sleeping areas and service areas
- Cleans and disinfects utensils, work tools and containers
- Provides species-appropriate enrichment to assigned animals
- Maintains appropriate health and behavior records on assigned animals
- Responds to questions from the public concerning exhibits
- Provides exhibit security
- Participates in capturing, incapacitating and moving animals
- Participates in and supports animal training programs
- Assists medical staff in treating animals
- Performs minor or routine maintenance on exhibit enclosures
- Reports maintenance needs
- Operates a variety of light and medium equipment
Safety: Must be able to safely manage the daily care of non-domesticated wild animals representing multiple dangerous species. This requires the knowledge of and ability to follow SOPs in each animal area.
Decision-making: Must have independent and critical thinking ability to respond appropriately to expected and unexpected animal care situations. Must be able to problem solve based on experience and observation and must be able to follow proper procedures.
Flexibility/Adaptability: Must be able to quickly process and respond to novel situations with professionalism and clear judgment. Must be able to accept irregular shift times, last minute schedule changes, variance in workload, and changing of daily tasks. Must be able to respond appropriately to the collection animals' dynamic social and physical states.
Professionalism: Employees are expected to abide by the SDZWA Rules of Engagement. Must foster a positive work environment that promotes trust and integrity. Must be able to accept responsibility and be accountable. Must make decisions that support the goals of the organization.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Qualified applicants must be flexible and available to work any of the seven days of the week: daytime, evening, overnight hours. This dynamic position will also will be working with our Free Contact Exotic Animal Ambassadors, so two years in that specialty is also preferred but with the greater emphasis on Neonatal experience.
Wildlife Care Specialist will be responsible for feeding and providing of the general care and welfare of assigned exhibit and ambassador animals, cleaning exhibit enclosures and contiguous areas, providing exhibit security and performing related work (Wildlife Presentations) as required. Applicants must have free contact animal ambassador experience. A Life Science degree, college education in a related field and/or experience or equivalent specialized training is necessary. This position requires successful completion of physical ability test.
- Two years of direct experience working with neonates in a zoological setting
- Working with spreadsheets, data entry, and mathematical calculations
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor Degree in Zoology, Animal Science, Wildlife Management, or other related field preferred
- Valid California driver license in good standing
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Animal behavior
- Animal biology and zoology
- Care, feeding and handling of wild animals
- Safety practices around wild animals
- Techniques for restraining or capturing wild animals
- Public Speaking
- Deal tactfully and courteously with others
- Adhere to the organization's policies, procedures and regulations
- Experience working with neonates in a zoological park or similar institution is desirable
- Knowledge/skill in the preparation of dietary formulas and feeding strategies for a wide variety of mammals
- Must be able to work as a member of a team and have excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Verbal and written communication skills are essential
- General knowledge of computer applications (spreadsheets, etc.) is ideal
- Experience working in a hospital setting is preferred
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: Wildlife Explorers Basecamp - San Diego Zoo
- Duration: Year round
- Union Position: $23.34
- Please note if selected you will be responsible for union initiation fees and monthly dues
- Candidates must be available for an interview if contacted. Full job description will be provided upon request.
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER - San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Join our team and build a career protecting wildlife around the globe with your passion for wildlife!
- 2920 Zoo Dr, San Diego, CA 92101, USA