Regular Full-time, Pay Grade 40, Salary DOE&Q
Under the direction of the Laboratory Safety Supervisor/Asst. Biosafety Officer (ABSO), the Sr. Laboratory Safety Specialist reviews, evaluates and analyzes laboratory work environments and designs programs and procedures to control, eliminate and prevent disease or injury caused by chemical, physical and biological agents or ergonomic factors. The incumbent will oversee implementation and maintenance of a comprehensive laboratory safety program in support of UTK laboratories (>550 research; >250 teaching), workshops/maker spaces (>25), and laboratory animal facilities (~4). The position provides biosafety oversight for the UT Institute of Agriculture (UTIA), including the state-wide Research and Education Centers, College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM), UT Space Institute, and Graduate School of Medicine (GSM/UTMCK) per memorandums of service support agreements.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Develop and maintain a laboratory audit program including the performance of annual inspections of IBC approved BSL-1, BSL-2, and BSL-3 labs and related animal facilities, in addition to labs that are not registered with the IBC such as diagnostic labs and teaching labs. The audit program will also include oversight of compliance with federal permits issued by the USDA and CDC.
- Conduct incident/accident investigations and ensure conformity with laws and regulations.
- Develop and maintain the content of biological safety/compliance training modules for faculty, staff, and students, including updating annual refresher training based on the prior years' laboratory audit findings. Classroom training may be required at the discretion and request of the ABSO.
- Provide support to the IBC, including: protocol review, risk assessment, and processing; attend IBC meetings; and draft meeting minutes.
- Develop written policies, procedures, and guidance documents at the discretion of the IBC/ABSO.
- Provide shipping and consultative services to researchers who need to ship hazardous materials/dangerous goods as regulated by the Department of Transportation and the International Air and Transportation Association.
- Provide CPR/AED/BFA training through the EHS ASHI certified training center as assigned.
- Mentors lab safety specialists, technicians and student employees.
Required: Bachelor's Degree. Six years of experience working within the field of life science research, laboratory safety, industrial hygiene or closely related field required. The position requires knowledge of: applicable regulations, guidance documents, and institutional policies, particularly those associated with OSHA, NIH, CDC, and USDA APHIS; biosafety principles and practices; key concepts of cell biology, microbiology, and molecular biology, including current research techniques. One year experience instructing or training adults.
Preferred: Master's degree and a minimum of 2 years of experience supervising or working within a BSL-2 or BSL-3 lab, preferably with academic research faculty, staff, and students. Credentials in Biosafety or related safety field (e.g., RBP, ASP, CSP, CBSP, etc.).