Hanson Professional Services Inc. is a dynamic, employee-owned engineering consulting firm of more than 400 employees providing a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, scientific, and allied services throughout the USA.
We are proud to be a great place to work and a top company for internships!
- #18 in the multidiscipline category in the Zweig Group Best Firms to Work For.
- #2 Best Places to Work in Illinois
- #4 Best Places to Work in Florida.
- #3 for Best Internships for Engineering
- #8 for the Best Tech and Engineering Internships
- #21 for Best Internship for compensation & benefits
- Check out our Vault rankings HERE
Hanson is seeking candidates for our Environmental Compliance 2022 Internship programs. We have potential opportunities in the following locations: Texas (various cities), Florida (various cities), Seattle, WA; Kansas City, MO; Chicago, IL; Peoria, IL; St. Louis, MO; and Indianapolis, IN as well as our corporate headquarters in Springfield, IL.
Our Environmental Compliance discipline is made up of environmental scientists, geoscientists and engineers who navigate local, state, and federal regulations to prepare and obtain operating permits (waste disposal, wastewater, stormwater, air, etc.) and provide environmental compliance and remediation support for Phase I and II Environmental Site Assessments, Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP), Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) plans, site constraints analysis investigations, soil and groundwater sampling, contaminant fate and transport modeling, waste management, monitor well installations, and statistical evaluations of groundwater data.
Click HERE to see examples of Hanson's Environmental projects.
General Assignments: Interns will perform routine environmental compliance tasks using standard procedures under supervision of Hanson professionals and may assist designers and technicians in disciplines related to their field of study.
Interns will typically support one or more experienced professionals in performance of assignments, spend time shadowing actual operations, and have unique assignments that support larger projects as well as experience the day-to-day workings of environmental compliance. Interns may perform and/or participate in additional activities/events which help them build a strong network within the Hanson community and with fellow interns. Internships may require travel to suppliers, customers, or other Hanson locations.
Key Responsibilities: Environmental Compliance interns will be expected to perform the following key responsibilities with assistance from a Hanson professional:
- Preparing plans, designs, specifications, and cost estimates
- Gathering and/or providing data for the preparation of engineering or environmental reports and studies
- Performing and/or reviewing calculations
- Conducting field investigations and/or survey assistance in order to gather information
- Assist in the collection of various sample matrices (soil, groundwater, sediment, air)
- Documenting and/or observing construction operations
- Performing related duties such as writing memoranda, letters or general reports; collecting and correlating data; maintaining records; attending meetings; and operating sampling equipment
Intern must be actively enrolled in a relevant field of study such as Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Geology, Water Resources. The ideal candidate will have successfully completed their sophomore year and be actively enrolled in an accredited 4-year college or university.
Key requirements are listed but not limited to the following:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Valid driver's license
As employers/governmental contractors, we comply with government regulations, including affirmative action responsibilities where they apply. To assist us in meeting our affirmative action goals, employees are encouraged to refer minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY - AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
EEO / MINORITY / FEMALE / INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES / VETERANS