We seek an accomplished Principal Scientist level oncology scientist to join the Translational Sciences group within Oncology Research & Development (ORD), La Jolla, California. The successful candidate will join a dynamic team of scientists in playing a lead role in guiding project teams in appropriate planning and use of pre-clinical models of cancer to evaluate new drug candidates, mechanisms, and targets.
The Principal Scientist/In Vivo Lead will participate in pre-clinical drug discovery and development programs with a focus on tumor intrinsic biology related to signal transduction, targeted therapeutics and epigenetics. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with the project teams to design, plan and execute an in vivo strategy to ensure efficient and effective project decision-making. They will be a key contributor in the In Vivo Committee, responsible for presenting in vivo plans and obtaining peer input for protocol finalization and approval to meet research project objectives. The individual will directly supervise laboratory staff that make up an in vivo team responsible for study performance and data analysis and play a role in the Translational Sciences Department's strategy. The Principal Scientist will provide technical and scientific expertise in in vivo Pharmacology across ORD to enable target identification, validation, prioritization, and efficient drug discovery. Ideal candidates will possess excellent communication, leadership and organizational skills, critical problem-solving abilities, and a commitment to excellence.
* Establish scientific in vivo strategy and study plans for drug discovery projects.
* Serve as the in vivo Pharmacology lead on several drug discovery projects.
* Works within the multi-functional teams to support target identification, validation, drug discovery, and combination therapy.
* Works across the in vivo teams in a highly collaborative manner, sharing expertise and resources to meet study needs across Translational Sciences.
* Design and conduct in vivo studies to evaluate and establish efficacy, PK/PD relationship, combination strategy, biomarker identification and analysis.
* Develop and create new in vivo mouse models including genetically engineered mouse (GEM) models to study biologic mechanisms and support exploration of novel cancer therapeutics.
* The Principal Scientist will generate and be accountable for the necessary Animal Use Protocols that ensures team members comply with all internal policies and regulatory requirements.
* Drives data interpretation, presentation, and documentation of experiments as well as preparation of study reports including drafting in vivo sections of regulatory documents such as IND filings.
* Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills to thrive in a fast-paced matrix environment.
* Publish results in peer reviewed scientific journals and presentations at internal, national, and international meetings.
* Ph.D. in Cancer Biology, Immunology, Biochemistry, Genetics or equivalent experience in a related discipline with > 4 years industry experience with technical and scientific expertise in drug discovery and pre-clinical development.
* Experience in collaborative research in Oncology Drug Discovery programs.
* Expertise in animal models of human cancer including CDX, PDX and syngeneic models required.
* Expertise with GEMM and humanized models highly desirable. Hands on experience in in vivo skills (IV, PO dosing, blood/tissue collections).
* Strong publication record in Tumor intrinsic biology or equivalent achievements in industry desired.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills. Proficiency in all common and scientific software.
* Supervisory experience is a significant plus
* Ability to run in vivo studies, work on team and communicate
Other Job Details
* Eligible for Relocation Package
* Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development