Requisition ID 2021-90693 Work Location US-SC-Columbia Department / Discipline Environmental Position Type Staff / Permanent
OVERVIEW / RESPONSIBILITIES
Wood is currently recruiting an Environmental Scientist to join our team in Columbia, SC to support our Environmental Science, Natural Resources and Water Resources groups. Ideal candidates will have a Bachelor of Science degree in environmental science, biology, biological sciences, ecology or a related field, and 1-5 years of experience. Work responsibilities will be conducted in a combination of remote working environment, office environment, and field work.
* Support various projects within our Environmental Group (e.g. Phase 1 Environmental Site Assessment, SWPPP inspections, Wetland delineations, stream and wetland permitting, mitigation projects, etc.).
* Conduct field investigations, including SWPP inspections, support wetland delineations with GPS data collection, stream surveys, botanical surveys, and threatened and endangered species surveys.
* Support permitting, stream/wetland restoration, and other water resources projects for both the Columbia office and other regional offices.
* Conduct sampling events (surface water, groundwater, soil) in various site settings.
* Assist senior staff with the preparation of technical reports, including compiling analytical data.
* Travel/field work (daytime and overnight) will be required (usually in Southeast U.S.). Field work may account for 50% or more of total work time.
* Work outdoors in various weather conditions.
* Work with a team of water resources engineers and environmental scientists
* Assist and coordinate with sub-consultants and other regional Wood offices
* Have and maintain a valid driver's license.
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
Skills / Qualifications
* BS in environmental science/biology/ecology or equivalent;
* Experience in any of the following: SWPPP inspections, Phase 1 ESA, wetland delineation, protected species, or wetland and stream restoration.
* Proficient in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
* Experience using ArcGIS is a plus.
* Strong technical writing and communications skills.
* OSHA 40 certification is a plus.
* An ideal candidate would be a self-starter, open to learn, adaptable to change, have a strong work ethic and thrives in a dynamic environment with multiple priorities.
* Ability and drive to work remotely, as necessary
* Flexible to work outside normal business hours and overtime, as needed.
* Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with management, staff, and clients
* Ability to apply analytical/scientific thinking to define and solve problems.
* Ability to work well in a team environment with a willingness to follow detailed instructions and learn new skills.
* Ability to execute field and office tasks and operate independently at times - specifically in field setting.
* Must pass drug test, background check, and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com [http://www.woodplc.com]
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.