Job DescriptionJOB TITLE: Microbiologist VIPOSITION NUMBER: 2101-07443-Micro-VIPOSITION LOCATION: Atlanta, GA, USAANTICIPATED START DATE: Two weeks after candidate identificationTRAVEL: Domestic and international travel as needed for trainings, meetings, and conferences.
ASRT, Inc. provides scientific, information management, management consulting, bioinformatics, and administrative program support to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other Federal and private sector clients. The successful candidate will be a full time employee of ASRT, Inc., and will be assigned to the Division of Bacterial Diseases (DBD), National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), located at 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA, to provide microbiological services to support Legionnaires' Disease.SCOPE OF WORK
The Microbiologist VI will provide microbiological services to support Legionnaires' Disease.MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Generate genome sequences, including but not limited to data generated by the Illumina MiSeq. Extract genomic DNA from bacterial cultures, generate sequencing libraries, operate the sequencer instrument and perform basic descriptive analyses.
- Prepare specimens and perform the sequencing runs.
- Ensure all procedures and documentation meets Quality Management Standards.
- Provide results to other scientists within Legionella laboratory.
- Provide basic analysis of sequencing data.
- Assist in preparation of scientific reports and manuscripts.
- Order reagents and consumables needed to perform sequencing.
- Perform traditional and molecular laboratory testing of specimens as it relates to Sequence Based Typing (SBT) for Legionella pneumophila. This may entail applications during outbreak responses.
- Provide raw data results from experiments to Legionella laboratory lead and senior microbiologists.
- Generate reports of post-data analyses.
- Provide written and oral presentations on projects associated with the generated data.
- Ensure quality of all data and interpretations.
- Order reagents and consumables needed to perform sequencing.
- Query SBT database as needed to interpret results.
- Conduct experimental genomic research on atypical bacteria, including Legionella spp. with minimal supervision.
- Generate raw whole genome sequence data from any/all species within Legionella, ensuring high quality.
- Validate and qualify procedures and datasets to ensure accuracy and quality performance metrics.
- Optimize experimental protocols for the timely response and accurate reporting of results during outbreaks.
- Identify novel technologies, products and reagents that allow for rapid and/or more complex pathogen analyses in complex matrices.
- Provide outbreak support, including possible field deployment and field testing, especially during Legionella investigations.
- Provide expert advice and consultation to state and local partners on technical scientific topics involving the laboratory components of Legionella testing.
- Ability to explain complex data to leadership and external partners and its significance during Legionella investigations, including genomic data associated with outbreak responses or surveillance studies.
- Conduct testing under CLIA regulations and practices within our laboratory when testing any human specimens
- Adhere to QMS standards for all testing, including environmental, clinical or otherwise, and strictly follow QMS standards when assisting outside entities with testing.
- Provide clear communication on scientifically complex subjects to both internal and external parties.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSEducation and Experience:
- Generate high quality presentations in slides or oral seminars, meetings and/or conferences.
- Generate data and text to contribute to publication quality manuscripts.
- Represent our program internally and externally as a leading authority on Legionella diagnostics, typing and genomics. This may be at meetings, conferences, phone calls, webinars, or other media sources that allow exchange of scientific data, technical interpretations, consultations, and/or free discussion on related topics.
- Bachelor's degree or higher (Master's or Ph.D.) with at least 24 semester hours in molecular biology, microbiology, genetics, mathematics, statistics, bioinformatics, or informatics.
- Previous experience in a similar role.
- 1-3 years of demonstrated experience with bioinformatics, bioinformatics analytical tools, microbiology, and molecular biology laboratory techniques.
- Proficiency in the analysis, assembly, and annotation of genomic data from a variety of sequencing platforms such as Illumina and PacBio.
- Familiarity with molecular and microbiological techniques for the gathering and utilization of genomic data.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Strong interpersonal skills required for work in a multidisciplinary team environment and extensive interaction with people across CDC and external partners.
- Background in biology, computer, bioinformatics, and/or public health sciences
- Strong written and oral presentation skills.
- Capable of developing and executing research and routine tasks independently.
- Immunizations may be required.
- Experience coordinating and maintaining workflows for genomics data processing and analysis.
- Preparation of genomic sequence library development utilizing robotics and a variety of sequencing platforms.
- Experience with Microsoft Access.
- The candidate must possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Must be a United States citizen or permanent resident or have authorization for employment in the United States.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.To apply for this position:
ASRT, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. It is the policy of ASRT, Inc. to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, veteran or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law, and to take affirmative action in accordance with applicable laws and Executive Orders.
- If you are viewing this position on the ASRT, Inc. Career Center, please click on the "Apply Now" button.
- If you are viewing this position on a site other than the ASRT Career Center, you may use the "click to apply" link, or you may apply by visiting our Career Center and searching for the job title and position number listed at the top of this job posting.
- To view all of our open positions and to apply to job openings in which you may be interested, please visit our Career Center at https://asrtinc.applicantpool.com/jobs/.