Senior Scientist, Cell Biology
A well-funded new start-up is looking for a highly creative and self-motivated Ph.D. cancer biologist to help discover a new generation of small molecule cancer therapeutics. The ideal candidate is an expert in using cutting-edge technologies to model disease and has experience in a drug discovery environment. The successful candidate will work as an independent contributing member of a diverse drug discovery team and will collaborate with senior leadership to influence project and company-level strategy.
· Independently design, develop and execute cancer biology experiments to drive preclinical target biology.
· Use modern tools to model disease, identify and validate drug targets, formulate responder population hypotheses, and identify resistance mechanisms.
· Proactively review discovery research literature to contribute the newest scientific findings, ideas, and methods/technologies to the team.
· Interpret, summarize and present research findings in internal and external scientific meetings/conferences.
· Lead biology projects, actively participate in and partner with multidisciplinary drug discovery teams.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
· Ph.D. in Cell and/or Molecular Biology or Genetics, plus 3+ years industry experience with high impact, peer reviewed publications and a proven track record of productivity and creativity.
· Exceptional cell biology skills (including mammalian cell culture, flow cytometry, and microscopy), and expertise in cancer biology.
· Capability to work within a dynamic matrix environment, with strong contribution to project strategies and progression.
· Excellent communication, presentation, and inter-personal skills; superb organizational and problem-solving skills.
· Leadership in technology development and implementation, and familiarity with various routine laboratory assay methodologies: CRISPR-guided gene editing; design and use of lentiviral vectors for gene delivery; siRNA, lentiviral shRNA, and CRISPR-mediated gene knockdown; phenotypic and mechanistic cell assay development; gene expression analysis; cellular immunostaining.
· Experience with in vivo cancer modeling is a plus.