Under general direction of Principal Investigator conducts activities to support research projects. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices.Position Key Accountabilities:
- Conducts research activities, under general direction, according to research. Research activities may include some or all of the following: traditional laboratory experiments and activities.
- Research priorities in this human molecular genetic lab are: DNA/RNA isolation, mining genetic databases for gene sequences, DNA sequencing, cloning, cell culture and cell transformation, functional assays, RT-qPCR, gel electrophoresis, western blotting, fluorescence microscopy, bioinformatics, protein purification. Potential animal training may also be considered.
- Maintains adequate level of lab supplies to assure timely achievement of lab activities.
- Maintains accurate and timely records to include notebooks, records, databases, etc. as needed by the research project.
- Monitors laboratory and/or other supplies to ensure sufficient inventory to support research projects. Ensures quality of reagents or other supplies.
- Stays abreast of new and updated protocols for research department
- As needed, coordinates the work of laboratory technicians, support staff and other assistants to ensure efficient, timely and high quality results. Answers questions or resolves problems regarding routine or more complex duties.
- Complies with all governmental and University policies, rules, regulation and codes.
- May participate in continuing education programs, workshops and seminars.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
General knowledge and some detailed concepts of research field assigned.
Knowledge of human molecular genetics and molecular biology. Craniofacial biology knowledge is desirable but not required. Previous experience with crispr cas9 experiments in vitro or in vivo required.Minimum Education:
Bachelors degree or relevant experience in lieu of education.Minimum Experience:
One year of related experience in a research or clinical lab environment.
May substitute required experience with equivalent years of education beyond the minimum education requirement.Physical Requirements:
Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10 pounds frequently and/or up to 10 pounds constantly to move objects.
This position may include work involving potentially hazardous chemical, biological or radioactive agents.Security Sensitive:
This job class may contain positions that are security sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of Texas Education Code 51.215