Join the Vortex Team! We are a civil engineering, architectural and survey company based in Grand Junction, Colorado. Licensed to work in 41 states, we work with clients on a variety of residential, commercial, industrial and government/institutional projects. We are looking for a motivated planner who enjoys working on a variety of projects in a collaborative environment. Vortex is Solution Oriented: We Innovate and Solve Problems!
This is an office-based job with work generally performed under typical office conditions. Position requires considerable contact with clients, general public, local governments and other development officials. Work involves cradle to grave contact with projects. The Senior Planner position may be required to work outside of normal business hours to attend neighborhood meetings and public hearings as necessary.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
Position works closely with professional engineers, CAD designers, surveyor and other team members to design each project with input from client and company CEO. Duties include managing weekly project review meetings, maintaining status report for current projects, ongoing contact with clients and local government staff to monitor progress of projects, drafting project proposals for company CEO and working with attorneys, title companies and other development professionals.
Position works with clients to scope projects, schedule and attend meetings with local jurisdictions, coordinates application materials with other team members, writes project reports, reviews site designs to ensure regulatory compliance and helps manage project workflow. Responsibilities include oversight of the electronic file system for consistency and efficient file management. Position frequently coordinates services with company's professional partners for services related to traffic impact studies, geotechnical investigations, wetland and environmental analysis and landscape design.
Work assignments may include special projects such as maintenance of company social media accounts, updating current project information on company website, representing the company at development meetings and serving on municipal and county development committees.
Knowledge, Ability and Skills:
• Land use planning principles, theories and practices
• Advanced understanding of site design principles
• Advanced understanding of public relations
• Knowledge of local government entitlement process
• Maintain confidentiality and to sense when it is required or prudent
• Exercise independent discretion and judgement in the performance of essential duties and responsibilities
• Work with numerous town codes and land use regulations
• Deal courteously, professionally and tactfully with clients, general public, fellow employees, government staff and elected officials in a variety of circumstances
• Work on several projects or issues simultaneously
• Work independently or in a team environment as needed
• Attend to details while keeping big-picture goals in mind
• Confident, articulate and professional written and verbal communication
• Write and present formal and technical project reports and correspondence
• Deliver verbal and power point presentations to Planning Commissions, Boards and Commissions in a variety of general meetings and public hearings
• Read, interpret and discuss blueprint/CAD drawings
• Review plans and apply provisions of ordinances and codes to determine compliance with such regulations
• Proficiency in using common computer software programs which may include Microsoft Office, internet applications and GIS
• Effective prioritization, organization, decision-making and time management skills
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in land planning or urban design, or related field of study such as geography or political science with 3-5 years professional planning experience OR any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, abilities and skills.