Kelly Government Solutions is a strategic supplier and business partner to the federal government and its key suppliers. Through our partnership with the National Institutes of Health, Kelly Government Solutions offers administrative, IT, engineering, scientific, and healthcare professionals the opportunity to work with the leading medical research center in the world. We are seeking an individual to work as a Biological Scientist at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD
This is a long-term contract position which offers:
- Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefit package
- Optional health, vision, and dental plans
- Vacation leave as well as 10 paid federal holidays and 401K plan.
- Access to NIH's unparalleled resources and niche scientific initiatives
TASKS/SERVICES. The contractor shall:
- Oversee the management and biobanking of human samples.
- Perform general lab management, establish quality standards, and responsible for laboratory upkeep and routine maintenance of equipment, maintain laboratory supplies and equipment including chemicals, biological materials, etc., required to handle biological materials, carcinogens, recombinant protein materials, acids, biological wastes, etc., maintain work bench and equipment related to projects.
- Catalog and label laboratory samples.
- Help with maintaining and organizing inventory of samples and metadata, and with managing inventory of laboratory supplies and reagents. Liaise with vendors as needed.
- Perform a wide variety of procedures and techniques which may include, but are not limited to: cell culture, clinical/diagnostic microbiology, DNA analysis, DNA isolation, DNA purification, DNA sequencing, flow cytometry, gene cloning, manipulation of radioactive isotopes, natural product isolation, organic synthesis, peptide synthesis, protein analysis, RNA isolation, single-cell RNA sequencing, FACS analysis, microbiome analysis and multi-omics data integration etc.
- Perform a wide variety of procedures and techniques which may include, but are not limited to: qRT-PCR, germ free mice, RNA and DNA isolation, and cell culture.
- Maintain detailed records of experiments and their results and prepare the information resulting from these experiments for presentations at laboratory-wide meetings and for publication.
- Maintain laboratory information system by identifying information needs and problems; recommending improvements; establishing priorities; testing; writing user manuals; training employees; maintaining security and confidentiality.
- Implement new programs, tests, methods, instrumentation, and procedures by investigating alternatives; prepare proposals; develop and perform parallel testing; monitor progress; create workflows and SOPs for new programs.
- Create reports of findings, stating methods and procedures, including any modifications employed, specimens and materials involved and results of experiments.
- Maintain laboratory records.
- Interpret, evaluate, and discuss the results of each experiment with the task leader as part of the planning process for subsequent studies.
- Operate and communicate effectively in a group, team-oriented working environment.
- Work with and support others in a collegial, open, respectful, and interactive working manner.
- Work collaboratively with others in the lab to generate data for publications.
- Assist in the analysis and interpretation of data and preparing summaries of laboratory findings to be used in reports and papers to be presented at scientific meetings and/or publication in scientific journals.
- Willing to learn principles of molecular biology, genetics, systems biology, and immunology.
- Perform quality control of the laboratory.
- Generate laboratory records to support laboratory research, and independently performing necessary calculations.
- Train and oversee the work of junior members of laboratory staff.
REQUIREMENTS. The contractor must have:
- Master's Degree plus 6 years' experience or a bachelor's degree with a minimum of 10 years' experience is required.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE
When you apply, please know a Kelly Government Solutions Recruiter will review your resume and will contact you directly, if your skills and experience match the requirements of this position; a full job description can be made available at that time.
Due to the high volume of inquiries, we regret that we cannot accept phone calls. Even if you aren't contacted for this position, you are still part of our talent network. All Kelly recruiters have access to your profile, which expands your opportunities even further.
As a specialty talent company, Kelly is committed to doing the right thing for our talent and clients.
We stand up for equity, inclusion, fair treatment, and opportunity for all as these build the foundation of our Talent Promise. With a focus on safety, value, well-being, investment, and opportunity, Kelly's Talent Promise confirms our commitment to those in search of a better way to work and live and to help discover what's next.
It is obvious things are different than they were just a few months ago. Kelly is at the forefront of ensuring the safety of our employees in this new working environment. Be well and stay strong.