At Biogen, our mission is clear - we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Together, our employees create, commercialize, and manufacture transformative therapies for our patient population.?
We at Biogen are committed to building on our culture of inclusion and belonging that?reflects?the communities where we operate and the patients who we serve.?We are focused on strengthening our foundation to advance our overall Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) strategy and, most importantly, ensure all our employees feel included.
As an intern or co-op at Biogen, you can expect to be placed on a real project, under the guidance of experience professionals and subject matter experts who are invested in your career and academic growth. We also ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to build your network, learn more about our organization through weekly lunch and learns led by leaders from across the company, and join us for several fun events.Job Description
This position is a 6 month Co-op lasting from January - June 2022 Position Description
Biogen is developing new medicines for Neuroimmune and Neuromuscular disorders. As a Co-op student, you will work with project teams involved in understanding how new therapeutic drugs effect specific CNS cell types using a range of advanced technologies such as Flow Cytometry or single nuclear RNA-sequencing. You will work with scientists on project teams to isolate targeted cell types from treated mice and develop assays to measure endpoints that reflect drug activity. Potential projects for 2022 co-op students include the following:
As a Co-op student in the Research Organization, you will work closely with project teams to establish models of disease and test novel therapeutic molecules for their ability to ameliorate disease phenotypes.Potential Projects For 2022 Could Include
- Graduate/ undergraduate student project: You will have the opportunity to work independently on a multidisciplinary team in the Neuromuscular Disorders research unit to evaluate the potency of Antisense nucleotides and AAV mediated gene therapy treatments on isolated neurons and glial cell types isolated from the mouse brain and spinal cord. Harvested tissues will be processed for RNA isolation, single nuclei isolation, and gene expression profiling with snRNA sequencing to understand the tropism and potency of treatments in different cell types. You will gain valuable experience in animal handling and in vivo study design, molecular biology techniques such as RNA isolation and single nuclei isolation and bioinformatic analysis pipelines.
- Undergraduate student project: You will work closely with scientists in the Multiple sclerosis research unit to characterize the impact of specific treatments on microglia isolated from mouse brain using flow cytometry to profile protein expression of markers reflecting microglial identity and signaling pathways. You will learn how to isolate microglia from mice, how to develop an antibody staining panel for flow cytometry, sterile tissue culture and maintenance of control cell lines.
Your interests and experiences should include:
- Science minded and enthusiastic to think, challenge and advocate your ideas.
- Completed undergraduate and/or graduate coursework in neuroscience, cell and molecular biology, immunology or biochemistry.
- Laboratory experience is highly desired for undergraduate project and required for graduate student project.
- Be driven and proactive to work with multidisciplinary teams and apply excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrated willingness to work with animals
To participate in the Biogen Internship Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
Enrolled in MS or BS program, majoring Biomedical, Bioenginnering, Biotechnology, Biology, Neuroscience, Biochemistry or related science field
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.