Meggitt is a global engineering group specializing in extreme environment products and smart sub-systems for aerospace, defense and energy markets. We employ over 10,000 people across manufacturing facilities in Asia, Europe, North America, with regional bases in India and the Middle East.
The Health, Safety and Environment Manager leads the local EHS team and oversees activities to ensure alignment with company safety policies, procedures and workers' compensation. Is a member of the Site Leadership Council and manages and applies health and safety guidelines and processes, while ensuring compliance with government, state and local municipality safety regulations and industry standards.
Job Core Responsibilities
- Leads the Health, Safety and Environment Team, while managing the environmental, industrial, health and safety regulation compliance for the facility.
- Oversees the development, planning, and implementation of environmental, health and safety policies.
- Collaborates with other business units to implement the Health, Safety and Environment programs, policies and services
- Partners with local and State regulatory agencies to ensure compliance.
- Ensures appropriate corrective action is taken where health and safety hazards exist.
- Oversees hazardous radioactive waste disposal and monitors waste handling.
- Develops and oversees company training programs for employees in areas of compliance training, lab/plant inspection, hazardous material handling, emergency response, industrial hygiene, and life safety.
- Defines and ensures the development of safety procedures (e.g., chemical handling, hazardous waste disposal, ergonomic, injury prevention, process safety) used by staff.
- Leads and directs work for team of employees as defined by business needs.
- Manages staff selection, performance, development and training processes to ensure team competencies and capabilities to reach the business goals and expectations.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- May need to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and additional hours as necessary.
Education: Post-secondary degree in Occupational Health, Safety or equivalent combination of relevant education and work experience that will allow successful performance of job expectations.
Years Experience: 5-7 years of relevant experience.
- Strong leadership and management skills to enable the creation of a highly capable and sustainable Health, Safety and Environment Team.
- Familiarity with Root Cause Corrective Action (RCCA) investigations, Net Environmental Controls (NEC) and Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasures (SPCC).
- Significant experience and knowledge of Material Safety Data Sheets and hazardous waste disposal procedures, as well as storm water management and industry safety standards including ISO 14001 & 45001 requirements.
- Strong knowledge and experience in government laws/regulations regarding Health, Safety and Environment including CUPA (Certified Unified Program Agency), SARA (Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act), San Diego Air Pollution Control District (APCD), No Exposure Certification (NEC) and OSHA/CalOSHA compliance inspections.
- Ability to Identify and resolve technical, operational and organizational problems.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills with the ability to negotiate and influence, while exercising sensitivity to the audience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and database management tools
This position requires use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
Meggitt is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-855-474-7665 or