The Molecular and Cellular Biology group is seeking candidates to join a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society. This role will be located at our research site in San Diego, CA. This individual will design and implement methods to discover mechanisms responsible for tissue or cell specific expression or regulation of human therapeutic targets (either DNA, RNA or proteins). This will include both experimental methods and computational analyses that include genomics and proteomic approaches. This is a highly visible role, providing the individual with an excellent opportunity to work closely with global research colleagues and to make a significant impact.Key Responsibilities:
- Establish internal capabilities for to discover mechanisms responsible for cell specific gene expression and/or regulation using large genomics and proteomics data
- Develop and apply experimental methods and quantitative analyses to probe large scale genomic and proteomic data sets from primary human cells and disease tissues.
- Interact with strategic partners to design and execute on specific project needs
- Build strong scientific collaborations with external groups within both the academic and industrial sectors
- Build strong cross-functional collaborations between different research project teams and functions
- Facilitate communication between scientists of vastly different scientific backgrounds such as engineering, physics, bioinformatics, data science and experimental biology and chemistry
- Ph.D. in Biology, Physics, Applied Mathematics or a related field
- >10 years of postgraduate experience in Molecular Biology quantitative biology, computational biology, applied mathematics or related field
- Proven scientific acumen with the ability to creatively seek resolutions to quantitative and/or computational problems
- Demonstrable experience managing interdisciplinary groups with life science and mathematical and/or computational component.
- Proven experience managing Big Data projects and/or High Performance computing projects for the life sciences
- Strong problem solver who is highly organized with the ability to thrive and lead in a matrixed work environment with rapidly changing priorities.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.