Reports to the Director of the MCZ and the Executive Director of its cognate academic department, Organismic and Evolutionary Biology (OEB), and works closely with the Faculty Curators and the curatorial staff of individual research collections and with the MCZ's database and information technology specialists.
Provides intellectual and administrative leadership to the museum's initiatives dedicated to the integration and coordination of collection activities among the museum's research departments, including facilities enhancement, electronic collection database, loan records, collecting permits and MTAs, and other inventory policies and procedures, as well as production of annual reports, etc. Collaborates with colleagues as needed for program /collection development. Analyzes collection trends, program evaluations, and data to continuously improve offerings. Evaluates, develops, and recommends and implements collection policies. Oversees Collections Operations budget and financial commitments for collections. Hires Collections Operations staff and manages their activities and projects. Maintains expert knowledge and professional contacts with agencies and other regulatory entities. Supervises Blaschka Glass Invertebrate collection (e.g., curation, conservation and cleaning). Manages the MCZ Digital Imaging Facility, its equipment and monitors use.
Advanced degree with a minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible management experience in a museum setting, preferably in collections management or curation.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
Ph.D. preferred. Excellent supervisory experience required. In-depth understanding of how collection information is utilized in research is required. Experience with project development, organization and implementation under various and changing circumstances. Must possess the ability to communicate and supervise all stages of a project and perform in fast-paced and highly diverse environments and a wide variety of disciplines (e.g., academic, construction related, regulatory related, space management and planning); as well as to promote MCZ collections programs through participation with other national and international initiatives. The position requires expert knowledge of Federal, State, and local regulations affecting collections, and knowledge of standards and protocols for natural history collections.
Working Conditions COVID Vaccine Policy
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University's COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University's "COVID-19 Vaccine Information" webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/ .
Additional Information In order to be considered for this position, a cover letter and resume must be submitted.
***All formal written offers will be made by FAS HR .
We are unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
With rich collections comprised of more than 21 million extant and fossil invertebrate and vertebrate specimens, the Museum of Comparative Zoology (MCZ) at Harvard University has been a center for research and education focused on advancing evolutionary biology and biodiversity science since its founding in 1859.Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.