Environmental, Health & Safety Manager (2021-011)
About the Organization Astronics Corporation (Nasdaq: ATRO) serves the world's aerospace, defense, and other mission critical industries with proven, innovative technology solutions. Astronics works side-by-side with customers, integrating its array of power, connectivity, lighting, structures, interiors, and test technologies to solve complex challenges. For 50 years, Astronics has delivered creative, customer-focused solutions with exceptional responsiveness. Today, global airframe manufacturers, airlines, military branches, completion centers, and Fortune 500 companies rely on the collaborative spirit and innovation of Astronics.
We offer our breadth of technology solutions and services through 11 subsidiary business units and numerous award-winning product brands. Serving our customers is our first priority, and every day we honor this mission with quality, partnership, and energetic global vision.
Astronics Subsidiary Astronics AES Location Kirkland, WA Description
The Environmental, Health & Safety Manager will be responsible for the management and coordination of all activities as they relate to safety, health and environment at the site in order to reduce occupational injuries, illnesses and the accompanying financial losses. Serve as a consultant to managers and supervisors on accident-prevention and loss-control enhancements and provides interpretation of related policies and procedures. Coordinate all training programs related to safety, ergonomics, accident prevention and first aid.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- EH&S program development and administration, environmental monitoring, consultation, regulatory compliance, education and training.
- Environmental compliance responsibilities include but are not limited to hazardous materials management including SDS sheets and annual chemical inventory list, RCRA hazardous waste management, environmental inspections, liaison with EPA and DOE governmental agencies, air and water emission monitoring, universal waste. Maintain the PSCAA permit, ensure compliance and monitoring. Attend the annual inspection with the PSCAA.
- Provide technical advice and aid in the administration and training for disaster preparedness, fire protection, business continuation plan, pandemic issues.
- Provide technical advice in the EH&S program relating to the recognition, evaluation and control of occupational health hazards. Examine the work environment through studies, operations and processes. Provide testing and measurements toxic fumes exposures, vapors, dusts, mists, gases, noise vibration, light, ventilation, temperature and humidity to determine employee exposure. Advise management of conditions considered detrimental to employee's health and wellbeing. Make specific recommendation regarding measures needed to eliminate or minimize health hazards. Ensure compliance with the respirator program and portable fume hoods.
- Provide technical and compliance assistance with the High Voltage Electrical Safety Program. Be a part of the Electrical Safety Committee and ensure compliance with NFPA 70E, OSHA and DOSH electrical safety.
- Ensure Pandemic requirements are being met per the CDC and Washington State Department of Health. Communicate to SLT any changes to regulations to ensure compliance. Ensure the building is maintained in a clean manner and all disinfecting is done as required. Ensure masks are readily available and daily health screening is being done. Keep the records up to date. Aid HR with contact tracing.
- Evaluate work processes for safe and ergonomic operation. Recommend/implement PPE, ergonomic and/or other modifications as appropriate to mitigate risk.
- Maintain compliance with all regulatory agencies regarding environmental health and safety issues including but not limited to hazardous waste, emissions to air, water and land, OSHA 300 log, fire and PSCAA inspections.
- Conduct safety audits, safety committee meetings, accident investigations, hazard and ergonomic assessments, work site evaluations, workplace environmental monitoring and hazardous chemical evaluations
- Coordinate safety training programs, education and on-going medical prevention and monitoring programs for site emergency response team and other employees as required by law.
- Maintain and control the ITAR scrap according to ITAR regulations. Ensure vendor is meeting requirements. Secure all ITAR scrap, sort, package and ship both ITAR and Non-ITAR scrap as required or needed.
- Chair the Wellness Team and aid in getting new members, coordinate challenges, newsletters and information to aid employees in wellness at work.
- Recordkeeping, data analysis and report generation for management and regulatory agencies as required.
- Lead the emergency response team and provide technical advice and hazard analysis at the site
- Perform other duties as assigned
This position may require knowledge of SOX / 404 internal audit controls and related documentation.
- BS Degree required. Preferably in the Environmental Science, Environmental Engineer/Health, Occupational safety and health, or in the physical or natural sciences (such as biology, chemistry, physics, geology, etc.). May substitute education for 10 years of manufacturing EHS experience.
- Minimum Five years' experience working in a manufacturing environment.
- Should possess a good working knowledge of state and federal OSHA regulations and L&I standards.
- RCRA regulations as they pertain to Hazardous and Universal waste
- ITAR scrap processes
- PSCAA regulations, permits and air and water monitoring
- Microsoft Office skills
- Partnering with employees to develop solutions
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing to line and senior management. Adept at persuasive dialogue.
Traditional office and manufacturing environmental conditions. When handling hazardous waste or universal waste, you might need to lift, carry or move 25 pounds or more safely.
- Must be a US Person (under ITAR rules) to be eligible.
- An offer of employment is contingent on successfully passing a drug test and background check, and applicants who do not successfully pass both the drug test and background check will not be considered for employment.
Astronics AES is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 425-881-1700. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
Full-Time/Part-Time Full-Time Travel Requirements TBD EOE Statement We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.
This position is currently accepting applications.