Dewberry is currently seeking a Resilience Planner Intern for our Fairfax, VA office for Summer 2022.
Local candidates preferred, no housing stipend provided
Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you're an experienced professional or a new graduate, you'll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call "Dewberry at Work," that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
The internship is aimed at training exceptional students to become leaders in the field of resilience planning, and will support the Resilience Solutions Group (RSG) with a variety of tasks, such as: community outreach and engagement, research, policy analysis, planning, report development, presentations and/or decision support applications. The individual will engage in the research, planning and development of operational and tactical plans, policies, procedures, and guidance to promote resilience to and mitigation of the full range of natural disasters. Related areas of technical focus for this position include but are not limited to: climate change adaptation, sea level rise, extreme heat, forecasting, hazard mitigation planning, demographic and economic analysis, research and planning primarily related to Federal agencies, Cooperating Technical Partners, state agencies, and local communities.
Required Skills & Required Experience
- Pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Planning, Environmental Science, Policy, Communications, or other related field.
- Candidates must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Previous internship experience preferred.
- Ability to be self-motivated and function in a team environment a must.
- Knowledge and ability to use the following computer applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other similar tools.
- Knowledge and ability to use Tableau, ArcMAP, Adobe InDesign, and other data processing, visualization, and design tools preferred.
- At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
- Dewberry is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
- Only recipients of an offer of employment from Dewberry, will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These screenings will be conducted by Dewberry's background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.