IFF supplies the food and beverage, fragrance, home and personal care, and health and wellness end markets with innovative solutions that allow them to create the products consumers know and love. IFF is a market-leading global business with innovative, healthy and sustainable solutions, spanning a broader portfolio than any of its peers.
THE ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Health & Biosciences team in Rochester, NY is looking for a Microbiologist 1 who is an energetic and versatile individual with experience in microbiology and molecular techniques to support global quality practices and systems. The ideal candidate balances laboratory work with technical reporting and quality system responsibilities. If you are a strong scientific collaborator, adaptable team player, and thrive in a dynamic work environment, we'd love to meet with you!
Your key responsibilities:
- Carries out a complex scope of inter-disciplined assignments and has key expertise in the area of microbiological and molecular techniques, equipment and methodologies, including:
- Microbiological and molecular testing to support our functional areas of focus; may include method development/validation initiatives and crossovers as well as product qualifications. Is able to exercise technical discretion in design, execution and interpretation of data making detailed observations and extrapolating logical scientific conclusions with minimal supervision and direction.
- Knowledge and experience with anaerobic organism propagation and quality testing.
- Demonstrates strong logic and tactical problem-solving skills.
- Implementation of new technologies.
- Serves as a technical contributor and manages whole or major parts of project plans, programs and work supporting our various customers.
- Serves as a key technical resource and analytical problem solver within the Global Microbiology Group and the company overall.
- Uses project management skills to work as part of a team with internal and external customers in identifying, prioritizing, coordinating and accomplishing specific project objectives.
- Conducts internal and external training and assessments - including on-site visits.
- Must have the ability to identify, evaluate, develop and implement methods and technologies as the need arises.
- Works with Global Microbiology Management and team to align resources needed to complete project objectives.
- Contributes to overall strategic and operational plans for the Global Microbiology Group; active participant who consistently contributes to the continuous improvement of lab operations.
- Serves as a resident expert in one or more technologies and/or functions.
- Represents the company on industrial consortiums and trade associations.
- Maintains relationships and programs with contract, governmental or academic labs.
- Operation, maintenance, and advanced troubleshooting of laboratory equipment.
- General laboratory operation and maintenance including glassware, waste disposal, reagent preparation, inventory management, shipping and receiving.
- Supports liquid nitrogen storage facility through vial management, operations, and safety procedures.
- Prepares technical reports, summaries, protocols, presentations, and quantitative analyses.
- Effectively communicates technical information both written and verbal.
- Works within a team environment and is able to train and mentor others.
- Able to work on site every day for the full day. This is not a remote position.
- Periodic travel may be required.
Your preferred skill sets:
- Culture-based QC test methods and Rapid Micro Methods
- Cell Culture propagation techniques
- Aseptic technique, Good Laboratory Practices
- PCR, qPCR, genome sequencing, MALDI-TOF
- Microscopy, Flow Cytometry, Spectroscopy
- Pipetting techniques, Microscopy, Spectroscopy
- Experience with quality systems and standards (ISO 17025, ISO 9001), including corrective and preventative action, document control processes, record management, and good documentation practices
- Experience with laboratory equipment, maintenance and operation
- Proficient computer and database management skills (LIMS, SAP, SharePoint, Office 365, Microsoft Teams)
- Advanced data analysis skills with strong technical writing
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Strong mentor and trainer with demonstrated leadership
- Strong organization, planning, and project management skills
- Highly detail oriented
- Able to communicate with leadership, peers, and across functional teams
Your qualification profile:
- Requires a Bachelor's/Master's degree in a scientific discipline or equivalent with a minimum of 8 years overall experience in an industrial lab setting.
- At least 2 of the 8 years required experience must be related to the above responsibilities.
At IFF, our leadership believes passionately in the importance and benefits of being a purpose-driven enterprise. We will lead not simply by relying on an unmatched portfolio and flawless execution, but by quickly unlocking new innovations as we tap into our shared passion for pairing science and creativity to deliver for our customers. We are creating an agile, empowered and innovative business that provides exceptional service and delivers on our commitment to be an essential partner for our customers.
Coupled with core values and excellent compensation & benefits Together, we're turning possibilities into real world answers that help humanity prosper!
Come realize how you can make an impact, act like an owner and partner with customers in our journey.
Nearest Major Market: Rochester