LanzaTech is a mission-driven company aiming to combat climate change by providing technology solutions for biological carbon capture and utilization. Our gas fermentation technology can directly fix the carbon in gases like CO2 into fuels, chemicals, and biomass, thus removing greenhouse gases from the atmosphere and replacing fossil fuels consumption. We have two commercial gas fermentation plants in operation that capture and convert industrial pollution to ethanol to clean our skies and oceans and create new high value products for a sustainable future. To support our commercialization globally, a robust research and development program centered at our Skokie, Illinois HQ includes interdisciplinary science and engineering teams in synthetic biology, strain development, process integration, analytics, computational biology, and engineering design.
- 2021 Biofuels Digest #1 Hottest Company in Renewable Fuels, Chemicals & Biomaterials
- 2020 Biofuels Digest #3 Best Company to work for in the Advanced Bioeconomy
- 2020 Fast Company World Changing Company
- 2020 CNBC #43 on Top 50 Disrupter Companies list
- 2019 Chicago Innovation Awards Winner
- 2019 Fortune Magazine - Change the World - Companies to watch
- 2019 Kirkpatrick Chemical Engineering Achievement Award
LanzaTech is committed to diversity, equity & inclusion as part of our mission, culture, and core values.
This position is open to candidates authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. LanzaTech is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
We are seeking a fermentation research associate to join the Process Integration team at LanzaTech. Process Integration works on novel bioreactor and downstream process concept development, is responsible for operating pilot and benchtop bioreactors and laboratory equipment, conducts applied microbial gas fermentation research, and provides technical support to commercial gas fermentation facilities globally.
The ideal candidate will energetically take on and own activities instrumental in scaling up LanzaTech's gas fermentation technologies. These activities include sampling, media preparation, and general operation of bench-top and small pilot-scale gas fermentation bioreactors and integrated systems, participating in experimental planning and interpretation of results, and joining cross-functional project-based teams with engineering, synthetic biology, and computational biology members to identify and solve fermentation challenges, maximize production, and develop process control strategies that help make our technologies successful at commercial-scale.
- Prioritize safety in all activities and projects.
- Prepare fermentation media and dosing chemicals.
- Prepare Standard Operating Protocols for the cultivation of different LanzaTech microbes, the set up and operation of bioreactor and associated processes, and the collection and organization of samples for analysis.
- Set up and fully operate both bench- and pilot-scale fermentation reactors and downstream separation systems.
- Execute preventative maintenance on lab and pilot scale equipment.
- Develop, evaluate, and implement detailed experiments within area of responsibility.
- Analyze fermentation data and draw conclusions.
- Write summary reports and present project results.
- Maintain fermentation run indexes.
- Participate in project team meetings.
- Communicate technical issues and work collaboratively to troubleshoot.
- Facilitate tech transfer of fermentation to customers/contract manufacturers.
- Aid in development of novel process flow schemes around gas fermentation, especially integrating with up and down-stream processes.
- Opportunity to propose, specify, and build modifications to bench and pilot scale equipment.
- Aid in development of next-generation gas fermentation bioreactor design with a focus on safety.
- Aid in development of control systems to assist in gas fermentation operations at lab and commercial scale.
- Write up novel concepts as invention disclosures and participate in the patent application process.
- BS in biological/biomolecular engineering, biology, microbiology, environmental or chemical engineering with a biology focus (e.g. bioprocess, biochemical, biotechnology) and laboratory experience.
- Follow safety procedures and work diligently.
- Knowledge of aseptic technique.
- Able to prepare media by following recipes.
- Conduct fermentation setup, takedown, and operations activities.
- Able to safely execute fermentation sampling protocols.
- Perform work and other duties as assigned.
- MS in applied microbiology, fermentation science, bioprocess engineering or a related field or 1+ years of biological research & development experience or equivalent in industry.
- Prior experience and success with the design and development of bioprocesses, especially around scale-up and process optimization.
- Demonstrated success in applying Design of Experiment (DOE) methods for strain and process optimization.
- Demonstrated success in troubleshooting fermentations.
- Knowledge or experience of gas fermentation technology.
- Practical mechanical experience with pilot scale and larger bioprocess equipment.
- Knowledge of analytics & instrumentation of biological processes.
- Experience with DCS/PLC programming and control loop tuning.
- Experience with HPLC, micro-GC, LC-MS, flow cytometry or related.
- Self-motivated and able to work without direct supervision.
- Based out of LanzaTech's global headquarters in Skokie, Illinois.
- Both desk and hands-on work in lab and pilot environments.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Exposure to chemical hazards such as toxic and/or flammable gases and substances when working in the lab.
- Work location: HQ - single location