The Global Director, Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) will provide Health, Safety, and Environment leadership for all Sabert sites globally through the development, execution and continuous improvement of programs, processes and initiatives designed to create a safe, healthy and injury-free work environment.
Global Functional Leadership
- Provide leadership for the implementation, enforcement, and continuous improvement of Sabert's environmental, health, and safety policies and processes. Plan, direct, and implement new corporate policies, procedures, and standards at all sites.
- Communicate HSE progress, status, and issues to the entire organization; proactively build awareness of HSE at Sabert through continuous communication strategies.
- Track, administer and report the proper HSE metrics and measurements to Sabert leadership.
- Actively seek improved HSE practices through benchmarking and active participation in HSE related seminars and organizations.
Program Development and Implementation
- Develop and implement programs to achieve injury free work sites. Drive accountability among all functions to eliminate accidents and injuries; manage programs to achieve a high degree of engagement and ownership at the employee level.
- Develop and execute initiatives designed to identify, evaluate, prevent, and control environmental, health, and safety hazards at the site.
- Implement and maintain industrial hygiene programs and standards at all Sabert sites.
- Develop and oversee execution of a comprehensive plant safety training program.
- Develop and oversee safety rewards and recognition programs.
- Develop and oversee a contractor safety program to ensure proper HSE practices by contractors.
- Ensure compliance with conservation / environmental protection regulations at all Sabert sites.
- Act as the primary interface with regulatory agencies on HSE matters.
- Conduct and document thorough accident, incident, and "near-miss" investigations, and provide recommendations for process, procedure or equipment improvements to reduce risk.
- Ensure compliance with all OSHA and other related regulatory requirements for documentation and reporting; conduct or oversee routine audits for all sites related to HSE activities.
- Administer all required Emergency Evacuation drills for headquarters staff; ensure processes are in place for similar drills at all locations.
- Develop and oversee an annual calendar for all required OSHA safety training.
- Provide direction and guidance to Safety Leads across all Sabert locations globally; participate in the selection and performance management of these individuals.
- Coach and mentor safety professionals and other key staff to achieve professional growth and improved business performance.
- Provide leadership and direction for cross-functional safety committees at each site.
- Work in accordance with all company policies and procedures regarding employment, safety, quality, product safety and legality, security, and regulatory compliance as applicable.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong knowledge of federal and local HSE regulations, including OSHA, EPA, and CDC.
- Results orientation; high levels of personal initiative, energy and ownership for success
- Must possess superior written and oral communication skills; able to communicate across entire breadth of the organization (shop floor - esp. in a Spanish speaking environment - to executive level)
- Strong team leadership and team facilitation skills; ability to work well across teams and in a matrix organization
- Strong project management skills; well organized; demonstrated planning skills
- Excellent presentation and platform skills
- Ability to travel up to 25% of time, including ability to support operations in Europe (Belgium) and Asia (China)
- BS or BA degree in safety engineering, environmental or industrial hygiene or comparable field; or the equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Certified training in Health & Safety profession.
- 10+ years of leading a multi-site environmental and safety compliance program, in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience in recognizing, evaluating, and recommending controls for workplace hazards.
- Experience in establishing EHS policies, practices and processes to drive world-class safety performance.