The mission of The Irvine Ranch Outdoor Education Center is to serve all youth of Orange County by providing quality outdoor educational programs that instill in them an appreciation of the outdoors and the environment, teach effective teamwork, instruct about the cultural history of Orange County and provide access to the natural resources of the surrounding areas.
This 210-acre outdoor education center,owned and operated by the Orange County Council, Boy Scouts of America,is inOrange, California and accessible through Irvine Regional Park. The Irvine Ranch Outdoor Education Center (IROEC) features half-day through five-day overnight academic and recreational programming. Our hands-on approach to outdoor education allows participants to explore the outdoors and science while developing creativity, leadership skills,and a respect for the environment.QUALIFICATIONS:
- Responsible for the specialized outdoor skills, and of any merit badges assigned by the Program Director
- Four-year degree in a field related to educationorrecreation. Equivalent relevant work experience may be acceptable
- Organizational skills, creativity and originality, and a desire to work with Scout age youth
- Ability to work overnight programs and weekends
- Ability to work independently
- Maintains certification in Red Cross Adult & Pediatric First Aid, CPR and AED
- Create and organize Merit badge curriculum for designated program areas, in accordance with all standards and certifications as they are related to each area.This includes Next Generation Science Standards and California Common Core, Scouting Merit Badges, and Cub Scout programs.
- Lead and train program instructors to facilitate academic and recreational programs.
- Assist with hiringas determined by Program Director.
- Responsible for the safety, maintenance, and inventory of any company property and equipment
- Uphold duty phone responsibilities
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonableaccommodationsmay be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and walk outdoors in nature for extended periods.
- Dexterity and strength to use and handle tools and programequipment.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or movemoderateto heavy objects up to35poundin a time.
- Safely operate property vehicles in varied conditions.
- Work outdoors in varied weather conditions including dust, pollen, insects, and wildlife.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonableaccommodationsmay be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Requires occasional work where the sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable
- Requires face-to-face discussions with individuals
- May include occasionalchallenginginteractions with guests or staff
- Make decisions regarding health, safety, and programming that affect colleagues and guests
- Projects will include working as an individual as well as part of a team
- Responsiblefor work outcomes and results