Surrozen is discovering and developing novel regenerative medicines with a focus on unlocking the self-renewal properties of the body through specific modulation of the Wnt signaling pathway.
The Wnt pathway plays a critical role in stem cell maintenance, tissue regeneration and other important developmental processes. Surrozen is implementing a platform of surrogate Wnt signaling molecules to selectively activate the Wnt pathway for the treatment of injury and disease - overcoming key hurdles that have held back drug development efforts in this promising area of biology.
Our technologies are targeted bi-specific antibodies that mimic the activity of Wnt or R-spondin ligands in modulating Wnt signaling pathways for selective tissue regeneration. We have established a robust antibody discovery effort comprising protein engineering, cell biology and in vivo pharmacology. We have discovered antibody-based agonists that can selectively stimulate Wnt signaling, resulting in tissue specific cell proliferation, and have established in vivo proof of concept for our proprietary molecules in animal models of osteoporosis, liver cirrhosis, inflammatory bowel disease and acute kidney injury.
Surrozen was founded by five leading-edge scientists: K. Christopher Garcia, Ph.D., Roel Nusse, Ph.D. and Calvin Kuo, M.D., Ph.D. from Stanford University; Claudia Janda, Ph.D. from the Princess Maxima Center for Pediatric Oncology; and Hans Clevers, M.D, Ph.D. from the Hubrecht Institute and Princess Maxima Center. Each has conducted extensive research on Wnt signaling, with findings that together shape Surrozens technology and approach to therapeutic development
The Director of Biology will report to the Vice President, Biology and will be a highly motivated biology expert who will participate in and drive the advancement of novel therapeutics for the tissue regeneration and treatment of liver diseases, inflammatory bowel disease, retinal diseases, etc. This life sciences research leader will be immersed in the development and implementation of early and late stage research programs while investigating the mechanism of action of candidate lead molecules and clinical development compounds and will help in identifying new targets to ensure that a robust pipeline of product candidates is moving towards the clinic. This person will work closely with the members of the executive team and provide both strategic and day-to-day guidance to the scientific team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities will be to lead the scientific team to understand the mechanism of action of candidate lead molecules and clinical development compounds and support drug discovery. The successful candidate will be expected to independently design, execute and manage internal research projects, collaborate with other functional groups within the broader organization and manage external collaborations. In addition, the candidate will contribute to patent filings and publications and present research finding to various audiences including senior management
* PhD in Biology, Immunology, or related discipline
* 10+ years of industry experience in drug discovery/development, preferable with large molecules
* Evidence of scientific leadership with publication in top-tier journals
* Strong mentoring skills
* A successful track record of advancing multiple product candidates from discovery to the clinic, with lead responsibilities
* Familiar with modern molecular and cellular methodologies, primary liver cell biology including metabolic biology, and/or measurement of intestine function, neuroendocrine cell function, microbiome/host interaction.
* Prior experience in biotherapeutic discovery and preclinical development
* Prior experience, expertise and training in Liver Biology, GI Biology or Immunology is highly desirable
* Well-developed organizational, creative problem solving and collaborative skills
* Must be self-motivated and proactive, able to multi-task, and detail oriented
* Strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as effective listening and interpersonal skills
* Ability to perform in a fast-paced environment
* We offer a dynamic start-up environment and a collaborative, passionate team
* Excellent benefits, including competitive employer contributions
* Stock options
* Paid vacation, sick time and holidays
* Shuttle service to/from Caltrain, BART and the South San Francisco Ferry
* State-of-the-art research facility and onsite gym (see the amenities available at The Cove: