Eat Just is a food technology company with a mission to build a healthier, safer, and more sustainable food system in our lifetimes. The company's expertise, from functionalizing plant proteins to culturing animal cells, is powered by a world-class team of scientists and chefs spanning more than a dozen research disciplines. Eat Just created Americas fastest-growing egg brand, which is made entirely of plants, and the worlds first-to-market meat made from animal cells instead of slaughtered livestock. The company has been recognized as one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies, Entrepreneurs 100 Brilliant Companies, CNBCs Disruptor 50 and a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer. JUST Egg has been named among Popular Sciences 100 Greatest Innovations and Fast Companys World Changing Ideas and the history-making debut of GOOD Meat was heralded as one of 2020's top scientific breakthroughs by The Guardian, Vox, and WIRED.
For more information on JUST Egg, visithttps://ju.st.
For more information on GOOD Meat, visithttp://goodmeat.co.About the Role
As a SeniorSynthetic Biology Scientistin our Cell Line Development Team, you will have the unique opportunity to contribute to the work of GOOD Meat the first-to-market cell-cultured meat product.In thisrole, you willleverageyour synthetic biology and metabolic engineering toolstoidentifyopportunities forimprovingavian and mammalian cell line developmentand play a critical part increatingcost-effective,safe,and commercial-ready cell linesand processesformanufacturingculturedmeat.You will work in close collaboration with our talented experts incell biology, molecular biology,tissue engineering,bioprocess, food sciences, and product development.
Ideal candidates willhave a Ph.D. degreein Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry,Bioinformatics or equivalent, with at least 3 years (5 preferred) of post-doc
relevant industrial experienceingeneratingandanalyzinglarge biological datasets for cell line development and improvement of process efficiency.Lastly, you should be excited by our mission andplayingan essential part in producing sustainable and cost-effective cultivatedmeat products and changing the future of food.What you'll do
What you'll bring
- Design, set-up, execute, and document metabolic engineering and other cell line developmentexperiments;
- Construct, test, andoptimizebiosynthetic pathways using various metabolic engineering and synthetic biologytools;
- Identifygenes and proteins of interest with potential to improve cell line and process development performance, yields, and other quality traits to achieve R&Dmetrics;
- Growth,maintainand screensterile avian and mammalian cell cultures, while alwaysfollowing good cell-culture practices, with properaseptictechnique;
- Work with genome editing and process development team members to defineappropriate experiments, implement protocols,collectand analyzeresultantdata within agreedtimelines;
- Providetechnical and scientific leadership, including hands-on execution of experiments and training of other teammembers;
- Producetechnicalwritingand summary reports; effectivelycommunicatefindings ina timelymanner;participatein technical discussions within thegroup;
- Maintainnotebook records, standard operating procedures,and other relevantdocumentation;
- Author,review,and supportcontinuous improvement of Standard Operating Procedures and BatchRecords;
- Preparesafety documentation for regulatorysubmissions;
- Effectively communicate project goals,status,and achievements with internal and externalteams;
- Be a flexible team playerrespond to direction and feedbackand continuouslyseektolearn and improve.
Additional Information & RequirementsThisisa full-timeregularpositionbased out of our Headquarters in San Francisco,CAuntil wemove toournewAlamedaOffice(targeted February 2022).
- Ph.D.or equivalent experience in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Biochemistry, Bioprocess Engineering, Bioinformatics, Microbiology, Synthetic Biology, Genetics, Molecular Biology, or related fields/disciplines,5years of post-doctoral degree or post-internship experiencepreferred with aminimum of3years of post-doctoral degree or post-internship experience in synthetic biology or metabolic engineering in an industrial set-up.
- Hands-on experiencewith
- analyzing and generating insights from multiple biological data types (e.g.,genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics);
- genome engineering using modern gene-editing technologies;
- cell characterization techniques such as PCR and flow cytometrypreferred;
- Familiarity with database technologies, data storage, and retrieval, specific knowledge of biological data management (functionalannotations, gene ontology,etc.),preferred;
- Experience withnext-generationsequencing of a variety of DNA/RNAsamples;
- Experience with cell biology, pathway design and synthesis, gene synthesis, metabolic engineering,and proteinengineering;
- Direct relevant experience in high dimensionality biological data management, processing,analysis,and communication.
- Experience with one or more programming languages (e.g.,Python,Matlab, Java,etc),preferred;
- Familiarity with statistical packages to prepare data and discover patterns within multi-dimensional biologicaldata;
- Ability to buildan in-house systems biology database by combining data from publicly available data sources, internally generateddatasets,and other literature references to extract actionable insights for new hypothesis and experimentdesigns;
- You have an analytical mindset withexcellent attention to detail - strongexpertisein data analysis,computationalskills,andstatistics;
- Youreself-motivated with excellent organization and time-managementskills;
- Excellentcommunication skills both written and verbal this is key to being able to effectively communicate and report on findingsaswell as working in our collaborative and dynamicenvironment;
- Experience managing and leading projects including directly or indirectly supervising people;
- Finally,youremission-driven,self-directed,and enthusiastic aboutplaying a part in changing the future of food.
- This role requires the ability to work the occasional weekend as needed.
Scheduled work will primarily be duringregularbusiness hours, though occasionalweekend scheduling/support may be required.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will berequiredto verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Eat Just, Inc.anditssubsidiariesparticipatein E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employees Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.