Interested in joining a cause-driven, customer focused company dedicated to positively impacting the health of animals, people and the planet? Search our job listings below.
The Health, Safety and Environmental Departments are responsible for ownership and administration of the Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Fire and Life Safety, and Environmental programs for Elanco Clinton Labs. The primary purpose of this role is to provide leadership and technical support on occupation safety and environmental programs and processes. This role will provide key leadership in assisting the site to realize its vision as a safe workplace that is compliant with regulations and policies and operates with a strong culture of injury prevention, environmental compliance, and continuous improvement.FunctionsSafety, Industrial Hygiene, Emergency Response and Environmental Program/Process stewardship:
The HSE Representative will have support responsibilities in several site-wide safety, emergency response and industrial hygiene programs, procedures and processes at Clinton Labs. Responsibilities includes ensuring programs meet requirements and that practices meet procedure in daily work. This role will be expected to identify gaps and opportunities for improvement and to lead improvement initiatives. The role is also expected to become a technical expert on relevant standards and to work with a diverse customer base to consult on application conduct risk and exposure assessments, and improve business practices. This role is expected to proactively conduct benchmarking with other sites and other manufacturing companies to identify and replicate best practices.Event and Change Management:
The HSE Representative will partner with site leaders to conduct formal and informal incident investigations. In addition, the HSE Representative is responsible for conducting incident trend analysis to identify potential areas for systemic improvement. The HSE Representative will also be responsible for thoroughly reviewing and approving applicable change requests to ensure health, safety, and environmental criteria are incorporated into the proposes modification. The role is also responsible for maintaining a variety of site HSE metrics.Customer HSE Support:
The HSE Representative is expected to work closely with diverse customers across the entire plant site influencing at all levels. Direct consulting on engineering projects, process changes, capital projects, and management of change will be a daily activity in addition to conducting risk assessments and hazard analysis. The HSE representative will serve on departmental and site HSE teams as required. This role is expected to interface with local and corporate teams leading HSE Improvements.Safety Culture and Injury Prevention:
The HSE Representative will be expected to lead and/or participate in various safety culture improvement and injury prevention interventions. The role will identify opportunities to enhance health and safety performance through opportunities to advance individual and group behaviors and culture.Environmental Technical Resource:
the HSE Representative will possess technical knowledge of the sciences, laws and regulations associated with applicable permits and reporting processes. This will be applied with proactive sharing of this knowledge, through training and engagement in site projects, Partner with designated area environmental representatives to establish standard work practices and systems to achieve a state of compliance and environmental excellence, provide support to the effluent stream remote monitoring including the associated maintenance activities, participates in the data compilation and reporting for submittal to app ensures completion of root cause investigation of assay failure and spills to effluent, where appropriate, perform event environmental impact investigations and leveling, conduct environmental self-assessments and environmental audits to drive continuous improvement.Compliance Improvement and Oversight:
The HSE Representative will participate in the coordination preparation, execution and follow-up action planning and tracking.Prepare, Review and submit Regulatory Reports:
the HSE Representative will coordinate the submittal of the all applicable required regulatory reports for the assigned aspects by the due date, including but not limited to ne DMR, SARA 312, And SARA 313, provide notification to agencies following permit violations, assist and support monthly emission estimates, allowing earlier response to any emissions problems and improves regulatory posture.Regulatory Specific Requirements:
The HSE Representative may provide insight on all regulatory requirements being properly executed on the plant site. The role will support site policies and practices satisfy the requirements of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act(RCRA) and other applicable regulations. The role will verify that the appropriate training curricula are assigned to personnel having regulatory responsibilities, including RCRA. The HSE representative will ensure that all associated training identified in the learning plan must be completed by the due date. Provide support on all regulatory requirements being properly executed on the plant site. Ensure site self-assessments are completed as scheduled. Ensure site policies and practices satisfy the requirements of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, Title V, and NPDES. Verify that the appropriate training curricula are assigned to personnel having regulatory responsibilities, including RCRA. All Associated training identified tin the learning plan must be completed by the due date.Compliance Record Keeping:
For all areas of responsibility, ensures that the required documents are placed in records retention and that all procedures, guidance documents, training courses are maintained per the document control management system. Ensure documents are easily retrievable from the EQ Library, secured file server, or corporate records retention.Development:
Support development opportunities for those you influence, promoting continuous improvement. Seek out development opportunities for yourself to improve your capabilities and career opportunities.Leads and Coordinates Projects:
Lead, coordinate and facilitate completion of compliance projects. Lead HSE projects that enhance the company-wide social responsibility. Manage multiple projects and lead cross-functional teams with diverse work experience. Coordinate sampling activities required by our permits applicable to this role.Strategic Planning:
Work closely with site management to establish strategies for meeting future HSE requirements. Work closely with Global Support, North American Services and Legal to develop strategies for addressing pending governmental regulations.Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelors Degree in occupational safety, environmental, engineering or equivalent science degree
- 2 years of experience in HSE in a manufacturing environment.
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
- Working knowledge of the compliance aspects associated with HSE elements.
- Demonstrated HSE technical leadership in previous roles or project assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate HSE risks and determine creative solutions to support business initiatives.
- Possess intermediate to advanced skills in utilizing business software: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email, calendaring and computerized procedure, change management and incident management systems.
- Strong HSE regulatory knowledge.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to speak in front of groups and write clear, concise reports & correspondence.
- Ability to work independently
- Strong organizational skills including expertise in managing multi-stage technical projects.
- Strong teamwork/interpersonal skills
- Ability to proved technical mentoring and coaching is also required.
- Professional safety designation (CSP) preferred or eligibility to attain such certification.
- Basic knowledge of the solid and hazardous waste (i.e. RCRA), Clean Air Act (CAA), Clean Water Act (CWA), groundwater and drinking water rules.
- Previous experience in a production environment and regulatory field experience is preferred
- Must complete current Learning Plans assigned to the position.
- Typical Shift: 8-hour day shift, 5 days a week, with consideration for flextime and flex schedules. Meeting customer needs prevail, so alternate schedules may occasionally be required to meet demands of the 24hr. operation.
- Periodic trips (some overnight) to other Elanco facilities or to offsite training may be necessary.
- Job require working with customers in production and lab environments and lifting equipment up to 40 pounds.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status